Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocelaris

Lawn Regrade Ideas

ocelaris
10 years ago

Hello, we purchased this 1950s Ranch last November, and while we're fixing up the inside I'm starting to plot out our eventual fix of the over grown lawn and shrubs.

I'd like some advice on regrading the front, as we have a very small back yard, eventually I'd like to use the front for kicking a soccer ball around etc, and right now it tapes down and away from the house. I'm planning on taking out ALL of the shrubs beside the driveway becaues it's a danger backing out. We'll put a sidewalk with steps next to the driveway as well, because when it's snow covered it's almost impossible to walk up (makes good sledding though!) Basically all the shrubs in front of the house are leaving, as I'm an avid gardener, and it's south facing, so need room for my perennials, roses etc... I have no love for the overgrown shrubs.

Also the entire yard is a mix of Zoysia and weeds. So I plan on using a sod cutter and removing all of the grass, releveling, and installing a sprinkler system at that time. I want to do this right from the get go, I'm fine with a higher maintenance lawn, probably a Kentucky Blue Grass mix when we get to that point.

I am going to be renting a back hoe to rip out the shrubs, root and all, and while I'm at it I hope to regrade the front so it is more flat and then slopes sharper at the front. What am I looking for dirt wise, topsoil? It's a fairly rocky yard I'm told by my neighbors, and I expect mostly clay, although I haven't gotten a soil sample yet. But since I'm adding so much soil, can I get cheaper drainage soil for the bulk, and better top soil mixed with some sort of organic material for the top? I'll be getting a soil test shortly to ammend the soil prior to regrading and seeding.

Also if there are some books people reccomend for this, I'm looking for some reading material to get more familiarized with lawn care. I'm well versed on perennials, vegetables etc... but this is the first real lawn, and I'm looking to do the reseeding by the fall (last house we did a small area in the spring and it was a disaster). Thanks

{{gwi:86658}}
{{gwi:86659}}
{{gwi:86660}}
{{gwi:86661}}

Comment (1)