Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Power rake for moss?

Posted by sheryl77 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 12:55

I have several patches of moss in my yard. My friend has told me I should power rake. Is this necessary or advisable? Is power raking good for the lawn?

I have already aerated and fertilized my lawn.

Sheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Power rake for moss?

Home Depot sells an iron solution called Moss Out that will kill moss in your lawn, and won't harm your lawn, in fact it will probably make it greener. It is inexpensive, and easy to apply with a hose end sprayer. You can rake moss out, but if it is mixed in with the grass this could pull up grass as well. Moss is usually a sign that your lawn is lacking certain things. Moss thrives in shady, damp, acidic enviroments. A soil test will tell you if you have acidic soil, the northeast usually does, or you can just apply some dolomitic lime if you don't want to deal with the soil test and hope for the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here