Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmoore66_gw

Best broad leaf weed killer

I have sprayed my weeds twice with weed-b-gon and had very little success.
Anyone know of a better product?

Comments (11)

• grass1950
    11 years ago

What kind of weed?

• David Moore zone 6a nw new jersey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a variety growing in a row of mock orange and spreading into the grass.
    I tried weed b gon chickweed killer and regular weed b gon with very little wilting after several days.
    No rain during that period of time
    Wanted to try total solutions triple threat but must buy four gallons at a time!

• grass1950
    11 years ago

My experience is that the weedBgone works pretty well on many weeds but it doesn't show immediate affect, it takes a period of time. Check the label and make sure you are using it in proper doses, temps and timing. Give it time.
    An alternative is Spectracide but most herbicides use mostly the same active ingredients. If you try something else, look for a diferent active ingredient than in WBG.

This post was edited by grass1950 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 16:08

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

This type of weed killer doesn't kill grassy weed type, I think.

You'd have to take a closer look at the list of weeds to make sure that the weeds you are trying to kill is on it otherwise you have to use different weed killer. Image product is one example that is used on grassy weed type.

• PRO
    Serenity Lawn Service
    11 years ago

Grass1950 is right. The most common mistake, even for professionals is overuse of an herbicide. WBG and similar products usually use a mix of 2-4D, Mecoprop (MCP or MCPA) and Dicamba. These products work best when the soil temperature is above 54 degrees. Also, ingredients that accelerate decay, which are often added to products that offer quick results (round-up 24, etc.) are left out of most selective herbicides to prevent damage to the surrounding turf. So decay with a selective product may take 3 to 4 weeks to complete. The time-line is as follows 1) absorption 3-4 hours 2) translocation 24-48 hours 3) stunting of growth/ kills the weed 72 hours 4) decay 2-4 weeks. Usually the first sign of it working occurs during translocation, which causes a curling followed by yellowing. Then it just stops and decay depends on soil temperatures.

One important note, some trees and shrubs are sensitive to the Dicamba in many broadleaf weed controls (dogwoods for example). Dicamba differs from the other ingredients because it can be translocated through the root system, as well as the leaf. So be especially careful not to exceed recommended doses when you're near ornamental plantings.

Here is a link that might be useful: .

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Serenity,
    What a through answer.
    I guess you are telling me to cool it and don't spray anymore product on the weeds unless there is no sign of dying in a week or two.
    I will follow you instructions

• rager_w
    11 years ago

There is a host of new herbicides available (mainly for pro's). They are used in much smaller % too. Certainty and Celsius are just a couple of examples. You must read and follow the label and they are $$$$. But man, they work!

http://www.monsanto.com/products/Pages/certainty-turf-herbicide.aspx

• PRO
    Serenity Lawn Service
    11 years ago

Higgledy, I hope they aren't too quick to take your advice, they'll put me out of a job if they make it too easy.

I kid of course, but in my experience I've seen a small factor, such as low soil temperature at the time of application, lead to bigger problems because the applicator (even professionals) over-react and over apply. As for the product choice, it really just depends on the weed variety and surrounding plant activity. I personally don't favor Ortho/Scotts, because of the bottom-line thinking you described.

So Dmoore 66, you are right to give it time. Typically, a two week follow-up application can be done on established weeds. This is because established leaf area hardens off, making it harder for absorption to occur. New growth is much more susceptible to herbicides, so if you haven't seen discoloration after two weeks it needs a follow-up.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again Serenity,
    I ordered some Hi-Yield 2, 4D selective weed killer.
    People like it better than weed-b-gon.
    I will wait another weed before I reapply

• georgesparrow2015
    8 years ago

If you are looking for a more natural way to kill weeds, I would recommend a vinegar, salt and dish soap mixture. It won't go deep to the root like Roundup, but it will do the trick and it is not toxic. Check out this site for details on how to prepare the mixture: http://weedkillercentral.com/vinegar-weed-killer-recipe/