Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
partsman41953

Lawn care with soft, moist soil.

partsman41953
11 years ago

Hello,

I need help with my front yard. I have a slopping front yard where at the top of the slope where it is somewhat flat there is a garden with a number of different plants...Iris, roses, lilacs and a few more plants. At the bottom of the garden I have rocks to keep the soil in. Right past the garden is where my lawn starts and that part, around a foot or so past the garden, the lawn stays soft and moist almost all the time. I have a couple of trees in the yard so I do not get direct sunlight all day long. From what I can tell I either have St. Augustine or Bermuda grass with a lot of poa annua.

What can I do to dry up the area so I can plant grass. I was thinking about just digging up the area and extending the garden but that would be a lot of work and would take up at least half of the yard but at this point I do not know what else to do.

I would appreciate any suggestions at all.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

• apprenticegardener
    11 years ago

A lot of questions come to mind before a potential answer can be formulated. How much rain do you receive? Do you have gutters that run-off into the area that is moist? Is other run-off, from neighbors perhaps, directed at the area? Do you live in an area where there are underground springs? Does your water line going into the house run through this area? Does your home sewer pipe run through this area? If you have a septic system, is this area part of the field? I think finding the reason for or source of the moisture is key to your situation.

Best Wishes--Carl

• partsman41953
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HI Carl,

I am going to try to answer your questions:

I live just outside Columbia, SC and I would say we get an average amount of rain per year, nothing in excess.

We do not have gutters on the house yet but the area in question would not be affected with gutters. The area is in the top part of the lawn. If need be I can post some pictures.

We do not get any runoff from the neighbors.

We live in the city so there are no underground springs.

I am not sure about the water line but I can say that the water meter is on the opposite side of the driveway from where the problem area is.

Not sure about the sewer line but we do have city sewage and not septic.

We live in a home community and not in a rural area.

Hope this helps.

• apprenticegardener
    11 years ago

Let me make it clear that I am not a hydrologist or any type of engineer. merely a (somewhat) experienced gardener and avocational human geographer.....

The Columbia area has some interesting characteristics since it is just south of the "Fall Line" which separates the Piedmont from Coastal South Carolina. Assuming you live in Richland or an adjacent county, there will be a wide mixture of soils and a wide variance in groundwater level.

Since you are on a hill and are reporting moist soil, an absence of air-borne external sources, and a low probability of man-made underground problems, it is possible that the water table in your area (perhaps even your microclimate) is very high.

You could verify this if you were to dig some "test" holes down into the soil to see if the amount of moisture stays the same or increases (it could even begin to pool ) as you increase depth. If it does, the ground may be "permanently" moist and not able to be drained to make it dryer.

If this is the case, you should probably look into groundcovers than will tolerate moist soils and shade.

Just some thoughts--Carl

PS--Some of the sand and clay from Ft.Jackson is still in my shoes from forty years ago.--cgc--