Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdseverin_gw

I don't know what to do first!

mdseverin
16 years ago

I moved into my new house late last fall. The house had been vacant for a year. When I moved in there was a lot of weeds in the yard (crabgrass, thistles, clover, and some shepards purse). With the cold winter a lot of those weeds died (I do't see them anymore only crab grass patches). However I noticed my lawn is a little bumpy and it would be nice to level it so I dont twist my ankle. What should I do first? Do I fertilize, spray weed killer, fill dirt on the bumpy spots and plant grass? I have no idea.

Here is more background information. I live in a Chicago subburb. I dont know what type of grass I have, but I'm sure it's original from whern the house was built (10 years ago). I have not done anything to the lawn and dont know anything about the soil. I did notice that it does not take long till you hit clay. I put up a fence and I hit clay and rock in just a few inches. The grass isn't too thin, so I kind of want to avoid killing it all, but I might have to. There are patches where I would have to plant seed. The lawn is not shady at all.

Please help me get started on what I need to do to get my lawn revitalized.

Comments (3)