Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rock324

Centipede Grass Problem Areas

rock324
9 years ago

I live in Louisiana and we laid Centipede about a year ago. It's taken on pretty well so far but I have some trouble areas, mostly concerning thinning/brown areas. I put down some Bonus S about 10 days ago and I'm certainly starting to see the effects in most areas. I've attached a picture of 1 area that I'm having the most trouble with. As you can see, this area is thin and remained mostly brown all year around so I'm not seeing much growth. I do have some other areas that are also thin so I'm not really sure what I should do or how to handle it. Can you take a look at the pic I've posted and let me know what you think the problem is and how I should fix these areas? I really appreciate any help!

Comments (9)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Is there any chance there was a tree in that spot sometime in history?

Is that an unusually shady spot? I see leaves in it so there is a tree (live oak?) nearby somewhere. If that spot is on the north side of a tree, you may as well put in St Augustine right there. Centipede needs full sun all day long.

Centipede only thrives in really poor soil in the full sun. You might have purchased it because it grows low, thrives on neglect (meaning no fertilizer), but does need regular water. The worst thing you can do is fertilize it, lime it, compost it, and give it plenty of water.

• rock324
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That area actually gets a good amount of sun, not any less than the rest of the yard. Also, I water my grass pretty regularly. So what do you recommend that I do with it at this point? Would raking it work? Or any type of chemical? I've attached another closeup pic. Thanks for your response

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Raking the leaves out will help. Since you're pretty quick to reply, can you take another picture from a distance of about 3 inches from the grass blades. Try to get some green grass and some of the deadish area.

No chemicals. Again, the best thing you can do for centipede is neglect it.

• rock324
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a close up pic but it has been raining today for a good bit.Let me know what you think. Thanks again.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Sorry I missed your last post the other day.

I was hoping to see the tips of the blades of grass more clearly. Are they definitely pointed or do they have this shape in this picture?

{{gwi:79715}}

I always suspect that, due to common name confusion, when people say 'centipede' they sometimes really have St Augustine. It is important because they need opposite care. If you really had St Aug but put it into a centipede regimen, you'd have a yard full of weeds. St Aug has the boat tail shaped blade tips. Centipede tips are pointed.

It looks like too much water has caused the grass to die. Centipede really does like the neglectful conditions I mentioned earlier.

• rock324
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your reply.

For that area, is there anything I can do to maintain it to help it grow or thicken out? I'm assuming seeds is not an option...
    Any point in me getting a soil test done? Should I just hand water it every few days?
    Sorry for the dumb questions. I'm just trying to get my lawn to get in good shape because our summers burn up our grass.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

If you want a grass that responds well to care, a lawn you can dote on, a lawn you can have reasonable pride in, then centipede is not what you're looking for. What was your original reason for getting centipede?

• rock324
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, it is what the builder put down. I know its not the best choice but I would like it look as good as possible. You sound like you really know your stuff about grass and lawn care and I understand you do not like centipede, but any help you could give me to get my lawn in the best shape possible would be greatly appreciated. If not from you, could you point me in the right direction? Thanks

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Use Google to find Texas Weed. He used to be a turf farmer and knows a lot about centipede. He's a member of this forum but I have not seen him here in many months. I know he's still active on another forum, but it's against the rules here to mention that other forum.

The best way I know of to improve centipede is to ignore it. That's why people want it.