Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhazzardb_gw

Stand Tall Fescue!

JHazzardB
12 years ago

Hey guys, fescue mainly established. But something that annoys me:

I mow a different direction every time I mow (about 5-6 times a month)

Every time I mow, I switch from North-South, to NE-SW, to E-W, to NW-SE. I don't ever mow the same direction for fear of providing heavy wear and traffic. I know, I'm crazy.

The annoying thing to me, my yard isn't springing back upright really. I can still see mow mower wheel trails (or about 50% definition) around 3 weeks after.

Background:

Water supply-.5" a week being dispersed every other day. (trying to teach the new seedings to grow deeper roots)

Fertilizer- Starter fertilizer in February when reseeded. Other than that 726 gallons of almost-composted leaves that are mulch in front yard. Same for back yard. I'm thinking there's plenty of nutrients in that concoction to feed the yard.

Growth rate- Around 2 inches a week. Seems too fast for me.

Mow Height- According to Toro, mower is set at 3 1/4 inches. Little ruler in the yard says about 3.5 inches. Grass does grow to about 5 inches before I mow, some more some less. And I do take off more than 1/3 :/

Anyway, how can I get my grass to stand up? Mow lower? Water more or less? Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance

Comments (2)