Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregger77

Lawn Repair Fun - Tips?

gregger77
11 years ago

Hi all,

I live in Chicagoland and have a typical quarter-acre yard covered with what I guess is sort of "bluegrass mix." I have a lawn chemical service in recent years, but will be putting it on "hold" so that I can do some lawn repairs.

As the picture shows, some parts of the lawn were damaged by a combination of drought, weed clumps, rabbit warrens and anthills last year. I am committed to weekly deep watering this year!

I am guess I need to seed in the bare areas shown put some sort of cover over the seed. (In the past, all seeding efforts have failed, as the "cover" washes away during heavy rain, and/or the pounding rain exposes or washes away the seed. Your ideas on the right "cover" that is "violent storm resistant" are appreciated!!) Do I need a seed starter, compost or something else to help the seed germinate?

Then, after the new grass can be mown twice, I would like to get at the weeds which will have popped up within the seeding areas, as well as the rest of the lawn, by that time.

Finally, I would like to figure out what a good fertilizing scheme would be for the rest of the year. Can I skip the "Scotts 5- or 6-Hit" plan, and just fertilize or put down compost once or twice myself?? Can I compost with my old metal drop spreader?

Thanks for your thoughts.

--G.

Comments (2)