Front Yard

Ph 5.8

Phosphorus 82 ppm

Potassium 97 ppm

Back Yard

Ph 5.7

Phosphorus 250 ppm

Potassium 86 ppm

Test results say to apply 90lb/1000 square feet of Limestone for each yard.

It also gives several types of Fertilizer to apply 3 times a year for the next three years, it says to pick one. Some of the numbers are

32-4-10 or 33-3-10,30-3-10,30-6-12 and so on. There are about 15 different number combos they recommend for each yard. My question is, when should I apply the lime and can I just use the Scotts weed and feed program or should I use the specific numbers they are suggesting? I live in Se Pa and had sod put down last spring, it is mostly Fescue.

Comments (6)

• tiemco
    12 years ago

Where was this test done? Unfortunately I don't see a CEC or TEC as well as base saturations. That lime recommendation is for dolomitic but you never want to apply that much at one time. Also without base saturations and calcium and magnesium numbers you have no way of really knowing which lime to use. Most stores sell dolomitic, which is fine if your soil needs magnesium, but most soils in the east need calcitic. Is there any data that you are omitting from your test?

• plynn7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The test was done at the U of Penn, there are some more results on the bottom of the sheets, just did not know what they meant. It also said to do a single application of the Limestone unless it exceeds 100lb/1000 sf then split it in two applications 4-6 months apart.

Back Yard
    Exchangeable Cations(meq/100g)
    Acidty=5.10, k=0.22, Mg=0.70, Ca=3.72, CEC=9.7

%Saturation of the CEC
    K=2.3, Mg=7.2, Ca=38.2

Front Yard
    Exchangeable Cations (meq/100g)
    Acidity=5.10, K=0.25, Mg=0.88, Ca=3.69, CEC=9.9

% Saturation Of the CEC
    K=2.5, Mg=8.9, Ca=37.2

It also shows Nutrients needed 1Lb/1000sq ft
    Front Yard
    N 3-4, PO None, KO 2

Back Yard
    N 3, PO None, KO 3

• tiemco
    12 years ago

Most liming recommendations from universities are incorrect. They must all use the same software or something. You are deficient in both Ca and Mg. I would start out by using the high bag rate of a good calcitic lime now. It's still too early to fertilize in PA, so don't worry about that yet, and don't use weed and feed products. Kill weeds separately from fertilizing with either a hose end sprayer or a tank sprayer. Weed B Gone Max will take out the majority of weeds, and Weed B Gone Clover Chickweed and Oxalis can be used on well clover, chickweed, and oxalis as well as some other tough weeds like creeping charlie. Since your P levels are OK, they are recommending you use fertilizers with higher K than usually since you are deficient in K. If you can find straight potash, usually labeled as 0-0-50, you can use that in about a month, but it is hard to find, and can be pricey, but it will raise your K level, and you can use it almost any time unlike high nitrogen fertilizers. You want to fertilize with N in May, Sept, Oct, and Nov. Conversely if you want you can apply organic fertilizer any time which will raise your OM levels and provide N but at a slow rate which want cause unnecessary flushes of growth at the wrong time of the year.

• john_in_sc
    12 years ago

Right - likely the Dolomitic lime recommendation was to increase the available Calcium and Magnesium in the soil - which are both critical to plant health.... Your PH is low enough where it won't cause weird problems.... I agree on "Not all at once" too.... maybe break it up into 3 or 4 applications over the season....

On the K - Muriate of Potash is what everyone sells (Except the bona-fide Turf places).... Potash sulphate is the stuff you want - it's the 0-0-50 stuff... Most of the time you have to special order it from the Feed and Seed/Turfgrass store... It's worth it.... I just got my 100 lbs of the stuff in on special order... That will do me for the season.

Thanks

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

Did they really say to add limestone?

• plynn7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, It says Limestone Needed 90lbs/1000 sq ft