Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ut_vol

Southern transplant needs seed recommendation

UT_VOL
10 years ago

Hello lawn gurus!

I have recently moved to the Portland, OR area from Tennessee. I need to plant a new lawn but I could not find what are the best types to sow here nor the best time to do it...the locals say now is the best time...

I have used this forum before so I think I know some of the fundamentals...I am more curious as to the right type and maybe some cultivar recommendations. When living in East TN, I had tall fescue.

Thank you in advance for all your help...

Comments (14)

• gsweater
    10 years ago

I live in the Portland metro area too. KBG and TTTF both do very well here. Being in the Willamette Valley, little to no need for fertilization at all is needed, regardless of what the Scott's commercials tell you. Organics will do just as good if not better - i.e. rabbit food. You're highly likely to find creeping bent in your current lawn, it's just the way it is in p town. Tenacity (mesotrione) will take that down for you in a flash without killing desirable turf. Welcome to rainy, but beautiful Oregon!!!

• UT_VOL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply gsweater and the welcome...Just for clarification...KBG=kentucky blue grass and TTTF=? Good to know on the organic...

Is there a particular brand or blend that has worked well for you?

Do I still have time to grow from seed?

• gsweater
    10 years ago

Yes, you're right about the abbreviations. Sorry about that.

A few things to consider first. How big is your lawn? What condition is it in now? Do you know what kind of grass you have (your turf is likely KBG, TTTF, Fine Fescue, and/or PRG ). This part of Oregon is unique in that you can seed in either Spring or Fall with good results, though Fall will produce better results, particularly for TTTF because it takes up to a year for it's roots to mature.

If you have a large lawn and lots of weeds, your time will be better spent killing it over Spring and Summer, then seed in mid-August as it begins to cool down (not that it gets all that hot here anyway). Won't be pretty, but it will be worth it come next year, especially if you're going to go the TTTF route - longer germination times and longer root maturation period for TTTF.

KBG is most often mixed with PRG up here because PRG germinates very quickly and serves as a cover crop for the KBG. These mixes can be planted now with good success. You may have to water more than usual this summer to keep it healthy and thriving, but next year you'll be good.

As for mixes and blends, steer clear of anything that has a Home Depot brand on it (i.e. Vigoro). In fact, I'd say all big box grass seed is generally inferior as is anything with the name "Scott's". Just my opinion for what I've seen in the Oregon stores - stock varies by region - Oregon HD apparently gets all the garbage.

I picked up some great TTTF seed at Fred Meyers from Mountainview Seeds, a Salem company - with newer cultivars for a reasonable price. I believe it's marketed under the "Nature's Own" brand. Here's a link to their TTTF section:

http://www.mtviewseeds.com/turf/tall_fescue.php

When looking at their TTTF bags, note the difference in the blends between the larger bags and the smaller ones. While similar, they are slightly different in cultivars, but nothing "bad" in either. They are weed free and have excellent germination.

True Value Hardware will also order seed for you from top Oregon producers like Pennington with no shipping charge, or at least they used to do that. Then there is Eh Griffith, who you can order all sorts of seed if you want to go that route (ehgriffith.com).

As for organics (rabbit pellets), there are several folks on this site that use them and recommend them. I learned it from my grandpa a few decades back and it works really well.

What area of PDX are you in?

• UT_VOL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in Hillsboro...New house so no lawn. Bark mulch with weeds coming in. Fairly level with some weird low spots in a small area that will need to be filled in and graded. It gets full sun for a few hours a day as it faces east. The house next door blocks part of the sun in the morning in about half the yard and my house does the same in the afternoon. The other half gets sun for a few hours longer.

Based on my measurements and what I would like to do in terms of beds, walkways, etc. I am thinking I will end up with about 382 sq. ft. (I am coming from 1/3 AC :)). From what I have read it seems that I may fend off better against weeds if I lay sod...which obviously, I don't want to do by myself.

The builder put in a front lawn so I am thinking of reaching out to them since they are still in the neighborhood and ask for a quote. I'm open to landscaper recommendations if you have any.

Thanks again for all the good information...

• gsweater
    10 years ago

Clean slate! Lucky you! :D

I haven't sodded myself, but my neighbor did last year and it turned out nice. I asked him if he remembered who it was. It was Oregon Turf and Tree. They grow and install, so no middle man. Youll have to post some pics when it's done!

• UT_VOL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again...I just sent them an email. I will definitely post some pictures and be back to learn more about keeping my lawn beautiful and healthy.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Why not sod yourself? Get a few friends and some pizza. It goes really fast.

With your shade, fescue will do the best. Out in the sun you can use fescue, rye, and/or KBG.

• UT_VOL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dchall,

Perennial Rye is the norm around here. The one contractor who came over suggested that if needed I could overseed with fescue in the shadier area in the fall.

Frakly, after getting the quote I got I am reconsidering doing it myself...I don't know a lot of people since I am new to the area but may be able to hire some help for less. The soil here is pretty bad, especially the contractor special (clay and gravel)...It will need to be ammended. He was going to add sand, compost, and what the call an irish blend and till it all up.

I would like to add some curves in the lawn...any suggestions on how to do that easily?

Thanks!

• UT_VOL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gsweater...

Turns out that I had measured incorrectly and it will cost me about $850 to have sod installed...plus I don't like the installer's approach who want to till in everything (including the existing weeds) with the soil ammendments.

I have also looked at the sun situation and get at least 5 or more hours of sun on most of the area and since I already have perennial rye on my front lawn (from oregon turf and trees), I think I will stay with that...

This coming weekend is supposed to be nice so I am thinking of tackling the project then.

So here is my plan:

1. Kill weeds--any sugestions on a good weed killer I can spray with my garden hose? I have nothing in the way that needs to be protected.

2.For soil preparation, I am going to add a mix of 35% sandy loam, 45% garden compost,5% super mulch, 5% mushroom compost, 10% and horticultural pumice. Based on what I have read around here I am thinking about adding around 2 inches, so about 5 yards.

Do you recommend I scrape off the exisiting bark dust or leave it?

3. Since I have decided to go with seed (it will be just me doing the job) and since I have a good amount of sun, I will go to ace and order some PRG.

Any other thoughts or anything I have missed that I need to consider before getting started ordering materials?

Thanks!

• gsweater
    10 years ago

Your plan is sound to me. I would definitely rake out the bark mulch, as it will tie up nitrogen.

• UT_VOL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture is one week after planting seeds...some germination already taking place...

• kaybradj
    10 years ago

how's it looking?

• UT_VOL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is finally coming along...

• gsweater
    10 years ago

Wow! Dramatic difference. Looking good!