Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeleaves_gw

weed filled lawn

treeleaves
11 years ago

I recently bought a house to live in. I have heard from neighbors that over the last three years, the only care the lawn received is mowing. The lawn is currently about 50% grass, and has lots of clover patches and dandelions. After mowing it looks like a nice green lawn from afar, but while walking on the lawn, you can see the big areas of clover leaves. I have included pictures of the lawn here (about 1/3 acre):

http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u377/treeleaves/

I am in the mid Ohio area and we are getting regular rains now, with temperatures in the 60-70s. I am thinking of spraying a weed killer (the types that you attach to a garden hose), and then applying a granular weed and feed mix 1-2 weeks later. I am expecting to see bald spots in the yard where the clover leaves are now. At the end of Fall, I will aerate and seed the lawn so that by spring the new grass hopefully fills in the remaining space. Does this sound ok? I am new to lawn care and so would appreciate any help!

Comments (6)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

I see clover, chickweed, bittercress, dandelion, and some funky grassy weed. I would spray the lawn with Weed B Gone max, and Weed B Gone Clover, Chickweed and Oxalis Killer. Those two will take out the majority of weeds. Buy the concentrate and use either a tank sprayer of hose end sprayer. I would urge against using weed and feed. For Ohio you should think about fertilizing in Mid to Late May, not twice in spring like that jerk on TV keeps telling you to do. Also the way you apply weed and feed is on a wet lawn and you let it sit for an hour or two, which is a bad idea with fertilizer. Do yourself a favor and kill weeds with weed killers, and fertilize with fertilizers.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

It looks like your lawn needs fertilizer badly. It should look much nicer about mid June after you have fertilized.

Highly agree that weed n feed is not a good idea. That's one of those 'too good to be true' products. It really has more unsatisfied customers than satisfied.

The best way to control weeds is to control watering and to raise your mowing height. Dandelions, for example will die without doing anything once your grass grows up tall. The tall grass pushes the dandelions leaves up and it apparently doesn't like that. To control watering all you have to do is to water longer and less frequently. Weed seeds need continual moisture to sprout. If you water longer and let the surface of the soil dry out between waterings, the weeds cannot germinate. That won't control them all but once you get rid of the ones you have, then the watering and mowing height should keep them out.

As an aside, if you want to show more detail in your lawn pictures, take the pictures on a cloudy day or when the sun is just going down (full shade). Here's an example of a pic in the shade...

{{gwi:86010}}

• treeleaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I learned a lot from reading up on your comments. Should I use a granular or liquid fertilizer (I am guessing granular will be better?).

Would the Gilmour 362 Professional No Pre-Mix Sprayer be a good way to spread the weed killers:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002N67I/

Here is a link that might be useful: Gilmour Sprayer

• garycinchicago
    11 years ago

Home Depot (and etc) will sell an Ortho Hose End Sprayer for about $10. You're going there for the Weed Be Gone(s) anyway, right? ... Plus, the instructions on the herbicides match the equipment at hand then!

• treeleaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I will be going with the Weed Be Gone products. Thanks!

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Yes, granular fertilizers are better for home lawns for many reasons. Don't forget to water them in, or you could get fertilizer burn.