Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn needs potassium amendment

Posted by submerj Zone 8 South GA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 15:25

A recent soil test indicates my lawn only needs potassium. I know all lawns also need nitrogen but for now I would like to increase only the potassium. I have heard of several ways to achieve this but I have found it difficult to get the products in bulk and paying to ship 30-50 lbs of any product is cost prohibitive. Does anyone have any advice on using/finding the below products to boost the potassium level in my lawn. The cheapest effective way would be great. I live in Valdosta, GA

Kelp Meal
Muriate of Potash (potassium chloride)
Sulfate of Potash (potassium sulfate)
Wood Ash

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn needs potassium amendment

Quit beating yourself up. Give it nitrogen as no soil test will tell you have enough nitrogen. I have never ever seen a soil test that come back in 40 years that did not need nitrogen.

Then just buy the ratio of NPK you need to achieve 1 pound of nitrogen plus whatever amount of potassium you need. If the potassium requirement is higher than what can be applied in one application, just make several applications during the year. That is the best and most economical way to achieve your goal.

o
RE: Lawn needs potassium amendment

You're overthinking it. Get a fertilizer with a higher third number, it will most likely have some nitrogen and potassium, but dont sweat it.

I am going to give you a link that should you get a good idea of the fertilizer numbers on a bag and what they do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meaning of Fertilizer numbers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here