Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Much Straw To Use

Posted by jbreits Iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 08 at 15:26

I'm trying to figure out how much straw I'll need for mulching my new lawn after seeding. The guys at the local garden supply shop said it should be very lightly applied. Online research suggests that 1 bale of straw will cover 1000-2000 sq ft "lightly". Unforunately, it doesn't really say what size of bale that pertains to. The bales I have available to me are the standard 15"x18"x30" size. Does 1 bale per 1000-2000 sq ft seem right?

Thanks,
Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Much Straw To Use

I always suggest people use zero bales per billion square miles. Straw is not needed. A water filled roller is much more important than hiding the seed from the sun with anything. I realize there are certain parts of the country where you would look like a freak if you seeded without using straw, but you really don't need it. Some places they burn their winter lawns every spring, so go figure?? The roller will push the seed and soil together so that the seed benefits from the ability of the soil to retain moisture. Be sure you water daily, 3x per day, for 10-15 minutes each time, for 2 full weeks or until you get what you think is 80% germination. Then you can start to back off the watering until the roots develop and you are watering no more than once a week.

Use the minimum you can get away with without looking freakish.

o

Thanks. Part of what I'm seeding is on a hill. Not real steep, but I'm hoping the straw will help keep the seed from washing away.

Any other opinions on how much straw to use?

o

A bale is going to cover somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 sq ft. It doesn't have to be perfect and you want it thin enough so that you still see soil peaking through.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here