Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help!! I used Scotts Bonus S for my bermuda lawn.

Posted by rputtagunta Dallas, TX (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 16:02

Please Help!! I used Scotts Bonus S for my bermuda lawn.

The guy at the home depot told me I should use this and I went ahead yesterday and spreaded Bonus S on my bermuda grass lawn.
Then, I watered it pretty good last night.

I went to Scotts Website and they have this to say for Bonus S and Bermuda.

Do not apply to lawns or mixed lawns of bahiagrass, bermudagrass, bluegrass, fine fescue, bentgrass, tall fescue or dichondra

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod70020

Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help!! I used Scotts Bonus S for my bermuda lawn.

That is an organic fertilizer and if the nurseryman says its safe for your Bermuda I think you should trust the man who knows.
Many fertilizers are explicitly suggested for some types of grass and some should not be as also is some types of broadleafed weed killers. Normally these are safe to use on natural grass but for some southern grasses broadleafed weed killer is that, a killer. The importance of reading the label and asking question is truer than ever.

o

Listening to the Home Depot guy was your first mistake...Not to sound like a jerk

o

Don't worry. This stuff is made for St Augustine and similar grasses. Bermuda is a beast compared to these grasses. You will be fine. I don't even know why they have that on the bag. It does not make sense.

o

westchestergrower was correct, most workers at HD or Lowes know nothing about what they are selling, the are there to stock shelves and keep the store clean.
I agree with dougt, no need to worrie, atrazine will not harm bermuda.
In the future I would just use straight fertilizer and spray for weeds with better weed killers such as 2,4-d.

o

And I vote with all the above replies. If you want to fertilize, use fertilizer. If you want to kill weeds, spot spray with Weed-B-Gone 2 weeks after you fertilize.

But also, if your bermuda has not been mowed twice, then you fertilized too early. You fertilized the weeds.

The USDA just published something showing that every time you use Atrazine, it becomes less effective than the previous use. Apparently the soil microbes become better and better at neutralizing it and rendering it ineffective.

o

I'm ashamed to say that i did the exact same thing and it killed my entire lawn. Now I have no idea what to do. Do I need to re-seed? All the lawn has gone dead and crusty, yet the weeds are still there.

o

Good grief people, don't you EVER read the stuff on the bags. Plus, right on the front of the bag it says it is for use on St. Augustine lawns. Also, Bonus S, kills actively growing weeds. It is not a pre-emergent, and yes, it treats bermuda like a weed. And it sure isn't organic.

o

To save you a lot of money, locate nearest Lesco or John Deere Landscape store and get yourself a bag of pre-em to prevent weeds (now is a good time).

Also get 39-0-0 Fertilizer. It's a fifty pound bag which will cover 18,000 sqft. Figure out the total of sqft lawn you have and get enough bags to last you all year. Most fertilize bermuda once a month. Don't worry. 39-0-0 is pretty cheap. 25 bucks a bag.

Bermuda don't usually start really growing till April so you wasted money on Bonus S fertilizer. Sorry. Rule of thumb is to start fertilizing when you start mowing.

o

I would love find a fertilizer that feeds St. Augustine and kills Bermuda. The Bermuda has gotten bad in spots of my lawn.

o

Pacochu,

Plant more trees and mow high.

o

I am crushed, we have one of the prettiest lawns in town every year and I believe I just killed it. I have a tall fescue and I applied Scott's Bonus S without reading the entire label. I just looked to see where to set the spreader. How long does it take to kill it? Should I wait to see what it does or should I just go ahead and have the lawn removed and get ready to reseed?

o

Not a guarantee, but try this. Within the next 48 hours, apply activated charcoal at 5-10 lbs. per 1000 sq.ft. over the affected area and water in.

o

The charcoal thing might be a waste of time, the atrizine is in the soil once it is watered in. The active charcoal does not dissolve in water so it will just sit on-top of the soil and filter the rain or irrigation water coming into the soil.
Once the atrizine hits the roots, it will be absorbed with in a few hours.
If you put active charcoal down, you will track black coal into your house.

o

WCP8-this pertains to the atrazine conatined in the Bonus S and its determental affect on Bermuda grass. Your post says you have tall fescue. Why are you worried?

o

TW said, Good grief people, don't you EVER read the stuff on the bags.

At first I thought he was being crotchety, but GOOD GRIEF! This is going from bad to worse.

o

I remember when we used activated charcoal to successfully neutralize Simazine herbicide that had been applied too close to a bentgrass putting green. The activated charcoal was applied either 1 or 2 days after the Simazine was applied and watered in on a sandy loam soil. Since Simazine and Atrazine are both triazine herbicides, I would think there is some chance that activated charcoal might be effective.

o
Missed an opportunity

I'd like to point out that this type of application mistake cannot happen with the modern, grain-based, organic lawn care program.

o

Very well pointed out Mr. Hall. And it is another reason why I am becoming more of a believer in the organic approach to lawn care.

o

Geez guys this one is so simple. He used Atrazine on Bermuda which you can get away with sometimes. But read the darn label as it states very clearly DO NOT USE ON BERMUDA

Any questions?

o

I was responding to the post from WCP 8 concerning the application of Bonus S on tall fescue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here