Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pig86

I'm starting tomorrow, any advice appreciated

pig86
11 years ago

I am buying a house tomorrow morning. The home had a septic system installed in November. So there is currently no back lawn. Just dirt and stone which is graded into the house. So I will start by fixing the grading issues. My questions are after the rough grade What are the best steps for Soil preparation before I seed. I am also lost on which type of seed to purchase. I will be getting the soil tested asap but I would like to get something planted immediately. So it has time to establish itself before the summer heat and my three young boys are out of school in late june. Whats the best cool season grass that will establish itself quickly and stand up to high traffic? I know that's a lot to ask from the grass. My plan is to try to just make the lawn usable for the kids this first season. Then if the budget allows overseed with a nicer cultivar in the fall.
Is this a waste of time and money? Is there certain species I should avoid this spring that will not be easily overseeded in the fall.
The home is Located on Massachusettes south shore. About half way between Boston and Cape Cod. It is a half mile from the Atlantic. The proximatey to the coast has a moderating effect on New Englands weather extremes. More rain then snow during the big winter storms and slightly less heat and humidity in the summer. The soil quality is not yet known but it looks sandy and there are more pines then maples in the surrounding wooded areas. The area which was dug up for the septic is on the south side of the house with no shading from tress, so it receives full sun. Thank you for any advice on where I should begin. My goal is to have a nice lawn in the next few years time. I know it won't happen immediately. I just don't want to waste anytime or money along the way.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County