Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn weeds/moss or something else?

Posted by netrate (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 16:31

I moved into a house that was vacant for the best part of a year. This year I want to do something about the lawn and I have these weeds/moss or whatever they are on it. I am not even close to knowing what I am doing, but I would love if someone could identify what these are and tell me how to prevent them/kill them. 80% of the lawn looks ok, but there are parts which need some TLC for sure. The pics are 4 different shots from different parts of the lawn and I pasted them all together. So they would be quadrant 1,2,3 & 4 going clock-wise I suppose. Maybe they are all the same type? Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn weeds/moss or something else?

Here are the pics, not sure why they are not showing up...

o

Where do you live?
What kind of grass do you have/want?

Believe it or not, the answers are pertinent to what your weeds are. Some weeds from one part of the world look like different weeds in another part of the world. And can you take the pictures again in the shade. The contrast is too high to clearly see which is weed and which is grass.

o

Ok, here are some new pics. Not sure what to do about this mess...

o

Any ideas?

o

Just spray the weeds with weed killer. Weed B Gone max and Weed B Gone Clover, chickweed and oxalis killer with either a tank sprayer or a hose end sprayer. Read all labels and follow them.

o

Tried it, 5 days in a row. nothing.

o

Mow real low.

Buy a hose end sprayer and concentrate.

Put a couple drops of dish soap in the bottle and spray away.

o

I took the different weeds to a nursery and they told me, and they weren't certain about it - but they thought it might be

Chick weed
Some type of Cilantro
Loose Strife

He wasn't sure, but that is what he thought.

o

So you sprayed weed killer 5 days in a row????? Certainly not a recommended practice. What did you use? Weed killer takes a while to start working. It usually takes 2 weeks for death, but you should see weeds curling and discoloring after a week. Weed killers are most effective when weeds are actively growing, so they take longer with cooler temps, and during periods of no rain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here