Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocelaris

Can someone confirm this is Zoysia?

ocelaris
11 years ago

I live in Northern New Jersey and we just bought a house in November and it appears that we have Zoysia grass. I'm eventually going to put a sprinkler system and replace it with kentucky blue grass, but just looking to confirm this before I go overboard trying to kill the stuff and replant. Long term I want to regrade and terrace etc... but for now I'd be happy with just getting rid of the overgrown hedges and replanting a nice lawn of bluegrass.

I won't start anything until the late summer/fall at the earliest, but I'm starting to get my game plan together. My goal is to get the grass growing full speed, and then do 2 courses of round up, 2 weeks apart. After the first application I'll cut it everything back very low and water. Then I'll wait for it to reemerge, then do another round of round up, wait another 2 weeks and reseed. At some point in there I want to install the sprinkler system, as I think it would be easier to cut down the zoysia really low after I roundup, and I don't want to hurt the sprinkler heads. Again this all depends on funds, the time and energy is there, but the money isn't...

I know it's difficult/impossible to get rid of zoysia, but I think sod cutting the entire yard would be a ridiculous amount of work to get rid of 2" of grass on approximately 3000 square feet of yard. Unless I can find someone who wants the sod, in which case it might be worth it...

Thanks, Bill

Larger pictures here:

My Blog Page
{{gwi:87128}}
{{gwi:87130}}
{{gwi:87132}}
{{gwi:87134}}
{{gwi:87137}}
{{gwi:87140}}

Comments (6)