Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vox87

Redoing the Yard

vox87
9 years ago

I've been doing a number of Google searches in trying to find the best solution in renovating my yard, per my region (Raleigh, NC), conditions, ability, and time. After reading a number of sites and forums, I'm still not sure what the best route is.

My front yard is pretty much red clay/dirt, small rock/pebbles, and weeds. The weeds are pretty much the only green these days. The original yard was an instant yard contractor sod. Over the years, I haven't really tended to it like a good home owner should.

So, I've had one of the community's most recommended lawn services come out and give me an estimate on starting the whole yard over again.

Estimate...
1. Spray and kill all existing vegetation with round-up; (2) applications
2. Core aerate entire lawn to loosen soil
3. Applications of lime and starter fertilizer will be applied
4. 15 bushels per 1000 sq ft of Tifway 419 Bermuda springs, crimped and rolled in
5. Application of Ronstar will be applied to control crabgrass and goosegrass germination.
6. Front Lawn @ 14,060 Sq. Ft
7. $3,164.00

In order to save some money, I thought about doing the yard myself. However, I'm not sure of the approach I should take. I've read just to aerate the yard and over seed it, but I've also seen other suggestions of tilling it up with peat moss/top soil and then seeding.

While I want to do it right, I also want to take the simplest approach in my abilities and time in redoing the yard.

From what I can gather from a number of readings and the write up above, would this be a decent solution in reviving my yard?

1. Apply Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate Plus
- Apply, wait a week
- 2nd application, wait another week
- Hopefully have soil test results back within that time
2. Dethatch/rake up the dead weeds and grass; resurface areas, based on erosion and uneven spots
3. Aerate the yard (or slit seed?)
4. Over seed with Bermuda
5. Apply fertilizer, lime, etc...per soil test results
6. Cover in peat moss (or straw)
7. Roll the lawn
8. Water appropriately

Comments (2)