Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bordergirl_gw

Zoysia Problems

bordergirl
13 years ago

I see this seems to be a common theme here :) Hubby and I are novice gardeners. We re-sodded our back yard last September with Zoysia and man did it look beautiful. Some months later, we noticed a patch that had a reddish look to it. We spoke w/ someone at Lowe's and they said it was a fungus, so we sprayed to treat that. The area never fully recovered.

As someone posted below, we had a very cold winter and the lawn did turn pretty brown, but we were not all that worried.

At the end of March, we fertilized. About two or three weeks later when the lawn still had some brown to it my husband decided to fertlize again. I was worried he was overdoing it, but the next day we got a huge amount of rain so I was keeping my fingers crossed.

One week later and (in my opinion) the brown spots have really increased. There are patches all over the lawn. If I had to describe it, I would say it looks like straw. And then other patches that are still green. We do have a lot of the "seed" looking things, but the tops of those look brown too.

Does this sound like fertlizer burn or chinch bugs or something else?

Hubby likes to be the lawn expert :) But I am trying to educate myself so I can gently nudge him :)

My dad has quite a bit of lawn care expertise (St. Augustine though) and he took a look at it for me a few days ago and thought it would come back, but it was a cloudy day and I think that makes a difference in what you can see. Today with the full sun shining on it I think it looks pretty terrible :(

Looking forward to learning from everyone!

Comments (4)