Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_in_ny

dimension? (pre-emergent questions?)

tim_in_ny
15 years ago

Ive been desperately trying to educate myself on the pre-m's but have been increasingly confused the more I read. Im hoping this thread could prove as a simple cut and dry info session for other newbies like myself.

Ive seen much mentioned about dimension as it is the "go to" pre-m of choice for many of you. I cant find it for the life of me! now, i will admit, ive only tried the big box stores, but still no luck. I'm going to expand my search this week.

Where can i buy it? how is it applied? is it a spray, or something you broadcast?

Also, whats the opinion of the scotts turf fertilizer with HALTS? ive also undersstood you can buy HALTS on its own, not mixed in with a fertilizer. Where can i find this product? Cant find this one either!

Does Lesco carry anything like this? (Id imagine they do?)

basically just looking to figure out what is best and most cost effective for me, as i believe im running out of time quickly!

Comments (20)

• jongoldman
    15 years ago

You can get it with fertilizer in Jonathan Green's "Step 1" or buy it from www.carrollgardens.com as a separate application (Green Light).

• garycinchicago
    15 years ago

Ace Hardware Green Turf Crabgrass Preventer & Lawn Fertilizer contains Dimension

Here is a link that might be useful: Ace Hardware Green Turf Crabgrass Preventer & Lawn Fertilizer

• dbags
    15 years ago

Ijust picked up 2 bags of Lesco crabgrass pre-emergent with fertiler(19-0-7) at home depot here in CT.Dimension is the active ingredient for the CG

• turf_toes
    15 years ago

If you have a Lesco store nearby, you should stop in and ask if they have it.

I've seen Dimension (0-0-7) there.

• tim_in_ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

turf toes,

any idea on the lesco dimension? whats the coverage?

• m1shmosh
    15 years ago

See the link below. Enter your zip and find which Lesco outlet in your area has the product in stock. You might want to register and activate your LescoDirect account to see prices. I recently got the stuff and it was $16 for a 50#bag. In fact, I picked up a couple of extra bags in case I need to wage war against poa annua this fall.

In any case, if you read the label, application rates vary depending on grass type, cut length, desired duration, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lesco Dimension 0-0-7

• vtec
    15 years ago

I found dimension with out fertilizer at WalMart. Green Light makes the product.

• texas_weed
    15 years ago

All the Hone Depots I have seen carry LESCO 0-0-7 with .86% Demension.

• jimtnc
    15 years ago

Hey weed...you sure about that .86% Demension. That sounds pretty strong for homeowner stuff. Usually it's only .10% or .15% Dimension.

• jimtnc
    15 years ago

Also, I talked to the HD guy that orders the fert, etc. He had a pallet of Lesco 0-0-7 with pendimethalin (the main ingredient in Halts). I asked him about it because I never saw that combo product...I only saw the same with Dimension instead. He didn't know, but was gonna order the 0-0-7 w/Dimension from now on. Decent price, too.

• tak2w
    15 years ago

Our Home Depot and Lowes did not carry it. I have found it at two local garden centers. I forget the brand name, but the one I got was in a red and yellow bag.

• texas_weed
    15 years ago

Jim I maybe mistaken, for some reason .86% just sticks in my mind.

• jimtnc
    15 years ago

tak2w - you might be talking about the Hi-Yield brand. The one I found was called Hi-Yield Turf & Ornamental Weed & Grass Stopper. Whew!! That's a mouthful. And, it's not cheap at all...around $35 a bag.

• jvmagic
    15 years ago

do you spread the pre-emergent and let it sit for a day or do you water it in right away?

thanks

• tak2w
    15 years ago

Jim,

Yes, that's the brand, but the bags I bought must have been much smaller than yours. I only paid $10.99 a bag....same price at both places....but I needed 7 bags for my yard.

• tak2w
    15 years ago

jvmagic, you should follow the directions on the bag. I believe it will say to water it in, but I just applied my when rain was in the forecast. I believe mine sat there for a day or two before the rain came. I don't think it will hurt anything.

• texas_weed
    15 years ago

Demension in granualr form needs to be watered in to activate it and disolve it into the top layer of soil. Doesn't matter if it is rain or irrigation water.

Only problem with rain is if you get a toad stragler it can wash the product away down the gutter before it has a chance to soak in.

• paulinct
    15 years ago

Tim,

I just (finally) located some Dimension with 0-0-7 at Lesco. Reading the bag it appears that in NY it must be applied by a licensed professional, and cannot be applied at all in Nassau or Suffolk counties. I wonder if that is why you are having trouble finding it?

For you shoreline CT people, if you're looking for Dimension without fertilizer (actually 0-0-7) Lesco in Guilford (now John Deere) just got it in today. I first tried the Waterford HD, Old Saybrook WalMart, Bernies, New Haven Lowes, Tuxis Lumber, and various local garden centers with no luck. Go figure. Next year I'll mail order it just in case.

• John Zaprala
    8 years ago

Hopefully you are a homeowner and not a contractor asking this question. There is a reason licensing is required to apply these products. Typically Baricade of dimension is combined with something like iron (liquid) in Spring to keep grass from growing too fast. Proper mowing practices should only remove 1/3 of the blade length in one cut, so either use Baricade or Dimension on its own without fert or a low N fert.