Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare spots, shade...on a hill - give up?

Posted by kokomo61 z7 VA US (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:23

I've been trying to bring back some bare patches in my back yard, and clearly must be doing something wrong...becuase nothing wants to grow there. I've raked, added topsoil, aerated, over seeded, watered frequently (you should see my quarterly bill).....and still bare.

My main suspect is the amount of shade the back yard gets - but that's not 100%, because the rest of the back yard is fine. If it turns out that I can't fill those spots in, are there ground covers that do well in shade that won't take over the whole back yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare spots, shade...on a hill - give up?

I would try a different type of seed.

I don't know much about seed types but I went to a turf farm seed supplier and told them the conditions of my lawn and they handed me a bag of seed. Now my lawn looks the best in the neighborhood!

See if there are any around you, or any universities around might have a suggestion. Ours has a whole agriculture section on their site for what to do in this area.

o
RE: Bare spots, shade...on a hill - give up?

For the hill, you might also consider a special biodegradable landscape fabric that I saw at Walmart the other day. It's suppose to prevent the seeds from being washed away down the hill. Never tried the fabric, so don't know how well it works. Maybe you or someone else could tell us. Another option is to sod the hill, staking each piece of sod at two points. Good luck with that hill! Let us know how it turns out.

This post was edited by ZoysiaSod on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 10:07

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here