Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me with my yard!

Posted by jamsoccer12 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 17:40

Hello,

Last year I moved in to a new construction house. The back was seeded and the front was sod. The house was built at the site of an old rock quarry, so that has been an issue. I have removed many of the big rocks in the back and am finally having grass grow. This year, I am attempting the Scott's 4-step program. I laid the crabgrass preventer and fertilizer two weeks ago. I am now having a big issue with clover and dandelions. Scotts said that I should not use step 2 (weed preventer) for another 6 weeks. I am about to call it quits with trying to do this myself and have someone come in to help. My last ditch effort is to ask for help on here. Any suggestions as to how I can rid my lawn of the weeds- I feel like i need something that will cover more area than a spot treatment. Attached are pictures. Thank you for any help that you can be!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me with my yard!

I just sprayed my lawn with Trimec 992 Broadleaf Herbicide and it seems to be working well. Its killing most of weeds and not harming the Bermuda grass. It should not harm fescue either. With warm temperatures around the corner I wanted to get rid of the weeds now so I can be ready to overseed this spring. I started my yard last year on a new construction house so I have a few spots that need some more grass and less weeds.

o

You make it sound like there are only two ways to do lawn care: 1) Scott's 4-step and 2) hire someone else. Lawn care is not hard. It could be you are doing something basically wrong. So...

Where do you live?
What kind of grass do you have?
How often do you water and for how long?
How high/low are you mowing?
What weeds do you have?

It really is as simple as water, mow, and fertilize. You should not have weeds if you're doing those three things right. Answering the questions should identify the problem and point to a solution.

o

They have hose attachment weed killer. The 4 step includes fertalizer in each step so you don't want to overdo it. But they sell weed killer spray that will help you.

Just read the labels and ask whoever is in the lawn section for the right one. My lawn looked similar to that and over time it's gotten better. Keep overseeding in the fall, doing the 4 steps, mowing high, and it'll get better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here