Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raising a Lawn up 1-2 feet! I need your help and advice

Posted by wawalls WA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 17:44

My first post!

I've got a 1.2 acre lot in Seattle that I'm planning on raising at least 1-2 feet (currently slopes) with soil from an excavation company. Assuming the soil is not 'topsoil' (they told me it has a lot of clay, they are digging it out for four town-homes), how much topsoil should i add on top before I plant grass seed? 4-5 inches? The actual area of lawn is going to be about .3-.4 acres. They told me that I need about 400-600 yards of this fill dirt to bring it up to the level I want, but I'm concerned that it would cost thousands for the topsoil.

How do new construction companies plant lawns? Am I crazy to take this project on?

Thanks for any and all advise!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raising a Lawn up 1-2 feet! I need your help and advice

Do you have any idea how much 400 to 600 yards of dirt is? Assuming the standard size dump truck bucket hold 6 yards ought to give you an idea it will be around 100 truck loads.

To raise the grade 1-inch per 1000 square feet takes 3.2 cubic yards of material. Depending on where you live a single truck load (6 cubic yards) of mediocre top soil will cost anywhere from $75 to $250

o
RE: Raising a Lawn up 1-2 feet! I need your help and advice

Welcome to the forums and thanks for not really doing anything before asking for suggestions. Too many people would have waited until they dumped a few truck loads of junk and then asked for advice. Is there a house on the property now? That much soil is guaranteed to change your drainage to something much different from what it is now. Are you sure you want to do this?

Can you post a picture so we can see what you're dealing with? Usually there's nothing wrong with a slope. Maybe someone will have a different way of looking at your issue that you have not thought about.

For new construction they first build a pad for the building, build the building, then call in a "finish grader" to prepare the soil and profile it according to the landscape architect's drawings. The finish grader will use a tractor with a box blade attached to the back. A really good finish grader can prepare 5 acres (flat) in a morning if there are no trees, sprinklers, or concrete in the way. If you want it profiled it might take the rest of the day to do 5 acres. An average driver might take twice that long to do the job, but that's about the limit of the job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here