Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this poa annua or annula bluegrass?

Posted by lovethempokes 7-OKC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 17:48

Hello, Could you folks tell me if this is poa annua or annual bluegrass that is invading my tif 419 (see link at bottom of post)?

If so, what is the best solution? It is thriving and going to seed even though I'm using a reel at .5". It's coming from my neighbor's lawn even though I follow a regular pre/post emergent schedule. I'm afraid his bagless rider is continually shooting it over to my yard. I'm not above a scorched earth policy of a general herbicide but would like to avoid it if possible. Also, I will gladly hand pull all patches if a preemergent would prevent any seeds for germinating. Please educate me.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: one tough weed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this poa annua or annula bluegrass?

Yes it is poa. Too late to do anything now except wait for Mother Nature to turn on the heat and kill it off. If the future us pre-emergence.

There are a number of herbicides that will kill it, but just wait for warm weather.

o

That is Poa annua and annual bluegrass...they are two different names for the same weed species. Post-emergence control can be accomplished with Sencor herbicide (Metribuzin) 75% a.i. when Tifway 419 bermudagrass is actively growing. In late summer (mid August), a single full-rate application of Barricade herbicide should provide annual bluegrass control for the following 6-7 months, at which time your spring pre-emerge application will be due. This is all assuming you do not overseed in the fall with a cool-season grass.

o

I used pre-m and I'm still getting those clumps of POA. Now I know why my app of weed-b-gone max didn't phase it.

o

When are you applying the Pre-M? Pre-M to prevent Poa is done in early September, not in the Spring like for Crabgrass.

o

thanks to TW, nearandwest & andy. Andy, that's my problem. I apply it in the spring as I spot spray all fall and winter weeds with a general post-m (roundup) once the grass is dormant.

o

Pre-Emergence if used is a year round project. I recommend using a product called AMAZE 3 times a year (Assuming a warm season grass) for year round protection. As you will find out using Post-Emergence to control weeds is futile. Like the ole saying goes; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It is better to get ahead of the weeds.

o

You can use Sulfentrazone (active ingredient) for post emergent control, but if you do nothing, it will die anyway because it is annual and can't handle the heat and drought.

If you have a bermuda lawn, be careful spraying anything on it while it is transsitioning from dormant to active because it is very sensitive to herbicides during that period - same applies in the Fall.

o

Texas weed - Are you saying that Dimension doesn't work? I'll have to pass it onto neighbors that is having trouble with annua poa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here