Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best pre-emergent for Poa Annua?

Posted by paulinct (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 17:48

Hi folks,

I gather it is early yet, but since so many of us (particularly the Fall '07 renovators) seem to be blighted with the stuff, I am wondering: what is the best pre-emergent for Poa Annua in the typical high-mowed, homeowner-maintained KBG yard? I have searched and searched, but keep turning up studies on overseeded Bermuda and Bentgrass golf fairways and greens. Obviously many of the problems faced by those turf managers don't confront most of us.

So which Pre-emergent is best for us?

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thank you,
Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best pre-emergent for Poa Annua?

I'm guessing Dimension in the late summer. I just brushed some RU on the tops of the Poa with a cloth style swiffer brush. Hopefully the KBG will fill in without having to reseed those areas. Any thoughts on the above?

It's a little depressing looking at all the Poa. I know everyone worked very hard last season with their renovations and this is what we have to show for them.

o

Higher seeding rates. At least in my case I believe my POA infestation was due in large part to a low seeding rate.

o

FWIW I seeded at a bit over 4 lbs/1000, to the point where I feared that I had caused damping off by seeding so heavily, and even that didn't knock out the Poa for me, presumably because they all germinate at the same time, when no one is competing with anyone.

Just my $.02, and still looking for the best pre-emergent to beat down this nasty weed!

o

The weed alert web site recommends PRE-SAN 12.5G as a pre-em. I have never tried it though.

o

So, did anyone have any luck with PRE-SAN 12.5G as a pre-em?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here