Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

New house in NE Ohio. DH wants a fescue mix, I want soft, lush,

threeapples
11 years ago

vibrant green grass, like a golf course. I hear micro clover is great, but it's 50 dollars a bag, versus 3 dollars for fescue mix. We have about 2.5 acres that will be planted with grass in a few weeks. Any ideas on what will be hearty, not break the bank, and look and feel gorgeous? I don't want what everyone else around here has that I see--average, not soft, grass that makes no impression on you when you see or feel it. thanks.

Comments (7)

• gsweater
    11 years ago

Doing a job that big, I'd wait for fall to seed. Probably not what you want to hear.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We can't wait because the brick on our house will be covered in mud and, since it's hand-made sand-faced brick we really need grass around the house. As it stands, the house is about to be surrounding by a lake of mud when it decides to stop snowing and start raining here.

Why is it so much better to wait until the fall? Can you comment on a seed option for us? Is this something my husband, with no landscape experience, can do on his own?

• grass1950
    11 years ago

A major problem with spring seeding is that the grass doesn't have time to develope a strong root system before the heat of summer. Reduced drought tolerance and increased susceptability to disease. You might want to consider sod for a "yard" around the home and a fescue seeding in the fall for the rest of the acerage.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

A major problem with spring seeding is that the grass doesn't have time to develope a strong root system before the heat of summer. Reduced drought tolerance and increased susceptability to disease. You might want to consider sod for a "yard" around the home and a fescue seeding in the fall for the rest of the acerage.

• apprenticegardener
    11 years ago

Go ahead and seed enough area immediately around the house with fesque, perennial rye, blue grass, microclover or (most probably) a mix to ensure you won't have a mudpit. Also buy a small amount of the other types that you don't plant around the house. Consult your local lawn and garden center or county/state extension agency first to see what they would recommend. If you are around Cleveland, there is a lot of information on the Web about NE Ohio specific mixtures.

Plant the "other types" in specific areas to see how they grow over Summer (they will also have to be cold tolerant, but you will have to rely on the "experts" for this informatiion).

Depending on what does best, plan on seeding and/or overseeding in the Fall.

Just some thought.--Carl

Atlanta, GA (formerly near Buffalo, NY)

• ibanez540r
    11 years ago

This all depends on how much work you want to put in and if you have an irrigation system or not. (BTW I also live in NE Ohio)

Unlike 10+ years ago, a top rated Turf Type Fescue Mix can be very soft, pretty fine, and a great dark green lawn. The benefits would be that it will take less fertilizer, less water, and it will be more drought tolerant. It will typically stay greener longer in mid summer heat compared to a KBG that will quickly go dormant. If a irrigation system is in place, this is less important.

A top rated Kentucky Blue Grass mix will be the ultimate "soft & lush" dark green lawn, but it will need lots of water & fertilizer to keep it that way.

The other differences, sometimes debatable, is that the TTTF should be cut fairly higher then the KBG.

If you do not have an irrigation system, on that much property, I wouldn't consider a KBG and go with the TTTF. If you don't have an irrigation system, and don't plan on watering regularly, I would def. go with the TTTF but don't expect to have that perfect lawn you describe.

...I would also recommend organic fertilizer.

Anyway, here locally, I get my seed from Gales Garden Center who carries Oliger Seed Company out of Akron.

http://www.oligerseed.com/products/lawn-seeds/

I would recommend the "Fescue Plus" for a TTTF or either the "Best of the Blues" or "Fresh Start" for a KBG.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

I like lawns but in my opinion, 2.5 acres of grass is boring. Why not landscape up against the house? Grass up against a house is really boring (and I have such a house).

For the immediate future, find someone doing tree trimming and have him dump an entire load of chipped/shredded trees up by your house. Spread that out to hold down the mud. Worst case is your house gets muddy and you have to rent a pressure washer to clean it. That happens all the time, but a deep layer of mulch will solve it for you. 5 inches is not too deep.

And start looking at Better Homes and Gardens for alternatives to all that grass. Here are some suggestions.

arbors (for vines)
    bamboo
    bee keeping
    butterfly garden
    decks
    edibles (veggies)
    fences
    fountains
    fragrance garden
    gazebo
    greenhouse
    hedges
    herb garden
    hot tubs
    hummingbird garden
    Japanese garden
    moon garden (plants and lights for night time viewing)
    orchard
    other groundcovers
    out buildings (like sheds)
    outdoor theater
    parcours (exercise stations)
    patios
    ponds
    pools
    putting green
    rock garden
    rolling hills
    rose garden