Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda Grass Seed in South Louisiana

Posted by RaginCajun Louisiana (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 18:09

I've been reading this board for a few weeks trying to get some helpful tips about seeding a lawn with Bermuda in South Louisiana but I haven't found anything. I have built a new home with about 10,000 sq. ft. of yard space total but it is mostly weeds of course. I am wanting to plant either LaPrima or Triangle Bermuda but we have a problem with heavy dark clay down here. I've tried to till a clay yard years ago but it was a nightmare so I figured I would kill everything with Round-up and then spread about 3" of topsoil over the whole yard. I have a friend with a tractor that has a front-end loader and a box blade so it should be easy. I was hoping that someone on here could give me a few suggestions on which Bermuda is the best for my area and the best way to prepare the yard. I've spoken to 3 lawn professionals here (one is a long time friend) and they all say the same thing, "don't waste your time tilling because it will activate more weeds, just cover all the dead weeds with a layer of topsoil and then spread the seed". Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda Grass Seed in South Louisiana

Listen to the pros. Last thing you want to do is till.

Best method is RU like you plan, at least twice within a week in between each application.

Scalp mow dead grass and bag the debris and clippings.

Use the box blade to grade the area. You can add amendments with the box blade if you want.

Then seed, apply starter fertilizer, roll it, and water.

o

Tex, thank you for your comments. I've learned most of everything I know about planting Bermuda by reading all of your posts on here.

Is the LaPrima a good choice for my area?

o

i believe it is a blend of SR-9554 and LaPaloma. Should be fine for your area.

o

One thing TW did not mention was waiting until May or June to put the seed down. Bermuda must have very warm soil to germinate in any numbers.

Also he did not say anything about adding soil. As long as you have the box blade at your disposal, make absolutely certain your drainage is away from all buildings and from your neighbor's buildings/property. That is what box blades are good at. If you have to haul soil away, you'll need a dump truck. If you need more soil, your friend with the tractor can tell you. But don't just guess that 3 inches of more dirt is beneficial. It probably is not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here