Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Killing Bermuda in preparation of bed (pic included)

Posted by clubman none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 18:15

Hello,

I'm trying to kill the grass surrounding some previously planted shrubs. I placed some black plastic sheeting down about a month ago and just pulled it up, the picture below is as it stands now.

What are my options? Can I just mulch on top? I'd rather not starting digging it all out if I can help it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Killing Bermuda in preparation of bed (pic included)

Couple of ways, but both are identical in how they work.

First step is to NUKE everything you want gone with Round Up Pro and wait a week for it to work.

Next you have two options of materials of being either Landscape cloth, or my favorite is cardboard boxes.

Once the bed is lined with either Landscape Cloth or Cardboard, pile on the mulch

o
RE: Killing Bermuda in preparation of bed (pic included)

Your only option is to dig all of the bermuda up. The plastic sheeting as likely not killed all of it, especially since it is so early in the season. I made flower beds where Bermuda used to be and have had great success. I took a sharp edge cutter and cut 1 ft squares and then shoveled them out. Once all the burmuda was gone (with about 4 inches of soil) I brought in a bulk delivery of rich mix soil amendment and mixed it with existing soil with a rear tine tiller. This is the proper way to make a bed. Your plants will grow faster and healthier and u won't be fighting bermuda popping up all season. You are also going to need to put some sort of edging around the entire bed (including the part bordered by your fence) because u and your neighbors grass will creep into the bed. Do the right work now and enjoy your bed for years to come!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here