Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireland381

Do mulching mowers make a mess?

ireland381
13 years ago

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere, but obviously there are SOOO many posts here and searching only gets you so far!

Growing up I only ever had mowers with catchers, and the only time we didn't use the catcher was if the grass was really long or damp, so basically to avoid clogging the mower. Then we'd go over it again with the bag to pick up the clippings.

I've never really had/used a mulching mower, but I'm renting a house is a good sized lawn and I think that's what they left us with (I honestly didn't know until today there was such a thing as a mower you plug in, but then I grew up on a farm... most of the time we mowed with small tractors!)

My question is... how small do mulching mowers generally chew up the grass? And if you use the side-discharge thing, is the idea to mow inside-out and blow all the clippings towards the outside? Basically I'm just picturing a big, fat mess of clippings that would probably often be wet because I live in Seattle :-P My biggest concern would be our three fluffy little white dogs, which are pretty much living, barking Swiffers. They already manage to pick up leaves and sticks, now I'm picturing green-speckled dogs and, consequently, grass and clippings all over my house!!

Comments (2)