Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Using Atrazine/Image on Rye

Posted by bingpv none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 18:31

I have read a lot on this forum about using Atrazine on Rye as you transition into spring and summer. I can find a couple of products with Atrazine, one being Image. The bottle says Atrazine=4%. Can I use Image at half strength to kill the Rye ?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Using Atrazine/Image on Rye

I am currently testing out image on perennial rye in my seeded Bermuda.i spot sprayed at full rate. it has only been a week and I have saw little results so far. A little browning here and there. It probably is because we went below freezing earlier this week. I will probably reapply in a few weeks.

I assume you are speaking of annual rye that was overseeded. From what I understand I believe you will have little results. I work for a commercial mower distributor and I believe what we do is to let the rye die off natural due to the heat and let Bermuda take over naturally.

That is just my 2 cents but I don't know where you are or what your normal stand of grass is.


 o
RE: Using Atrazine/Image on Rye

My normal strand of grass is Bermuda. I read an older post by Texasweed and his suggestion was to use atrazine at 1/2 strength to kill the annual and then fertilize the bermuda. So far the only product I can find in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area with atrazine is Image. The image label states that its 4% Atrazine so I was wondering if the other 96% of Image is harmful to Bermuda.

Contacted the local John Deere dealer and they suggested Revolver but its expensive and I only have 3000sq feet. of over seeded lawn.

Suggestions?


 o
RE: Using Atrazine/Image on Rye

Per images label, it is safe for Bermuda.


 o
RE: Using Atrazine/Image on Rye

I use Revolver for this transition time. You are right it is $$. I have about 2500sqft. This was my 3rd year using it and it will last another 5-7 years provided it stays viable that long. I use it at half strengh and it takes 2-3 weeks to kill off the Rye.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here