Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barnanimals

Help with plan of attack for sod webworms

BarnAnimals
12 years ago

First noticed something going on mid-summer last year. Fast forward to now, we have finally diagnosed the issue to be sod webworms. They got a good bit of it but I still have enough green to work with. Moving forward...

There is Ortho bug b gone max, Sevin, Triazicide, and the usual stuff atHome Depot for eradication of all insects. Then there is Bonide (with BT) that paralyzes the webworms but only effective at the right time of year.

With our unusually warm spring, I noticed the moth stage around mid March and last noticed them only a week ago. Usually they are not supposed to show up until late spring. So I could have plenty of worms by now which would make the Bonide effective. I believe I have all stages of the sod webworm right now.

I am thinking of going with Ortho bug b gone right now to kill the egg laying moths. Then Bonide when it comes in the mail next week on the first warm night when they come out to feed, to kill all the worms. I believe I will need repeat applications of both products.

I do not want to lose any more grass. I want to stop this now.

Thoughts? Any experience with Talstar?

Comments (7)