Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with plan of attack for sod webworms

Posted by BarnAnimals 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 18:58

First noticed something going on mid-summer last year. Fast forward to now, we have finally diagnosed the issue to be sod webworms. They got a good bit of it but I still have enough green to work with. Moving forward...

There is Ortho bug b gone max, Sevin, Triazicide, and the usual stuff atHome Depot for eradication of all insects. Then there is Bonide (with BT) that paralyzes the webworms but only effective at the right time of year.

With our unusually warm spring, I noticed the moth stage around mid March and last noticed them only a week ago. Usually they are not supposed to show up until late spring. So I could have plenty of worms by now which would make the Bonide effective. I believe I have all stages of the sod webworm right now.

I am thinking of going with Ortho bug b gone right now to kill the egg laying moths. Then Bonide when it comes in the mail next week on the first warm night when they come out to feed, to kill all the worms. I believe I will need repeat applications of both products.

I do not want to lose any more grass. I want to stop this now.

Thoughts? Any experience with Talstar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with plan of attack for sod webworms

The lawn is flat and has no pet or human traffic.

o

I use Dylox.

You can find it in Bayer 24 hour Grub Killer granular.

o

If there is a major problem, maybe you could alternate applications every week or two for a few months between ortho, bayer, and triazicide.

o

You can stop them in less than a minute with a product called BT Worm Killer, or words to that effect. As soon as that stuff gets on them, all their muscles constrict and they freeze in position. It is a beautiful sight to behold!! They will stay like that for about 2 days, turn black, and die. But the important thing is that they stop feeding immediately.

BT is a bacterium disease for caterpillars. It stands for bacillus thuringienses (buh SILL us thur in gee EN sus). A small bottle from nearly anywhere is a lifetime supply.

o

About to put down BT tomorrow night. The label and customer service cannot provide an answer as to how many sq ft one gallon should cover. They just go with the spray until wet with no runoff. That's not good enough for me. Typically I see 250-300 sqft per gallon on labels for stuff like this. I like to measure and mix very accurately. Any ideas?

o

A gallon??? Without doing the math, I'm thinking that would cover a square mile.

Check this label for BT Worm Killer. I'd go with 4 teaspoons per gallon. And I'm thinking a gallon would easily cover 1,000 square feet.

o

yes yes I meant the dosage of 4 tsp per gallon. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here