Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

something weird has happened to my top soil

cateyanne
10 years ago

Finally able to get outside and do some spring cleanup and I am horrified by how my yard looks. The areas where there is no grass growing, like the flower beds looked really weird. Almost like a desert with dry cracks running all over the top of the soil even areas where there was still some mulch had these cracks. When I disturbed the soil, it was like powder! Very dry and fine. My soil NEVER looks like this, I have a lot of clay where I live and although I've improved the soil over the years it still is not fine and powdery. This is only the first few inches down, then the soil is more normal. Also, my grass is completely dead in large areas. I can just pull it up with my hands and the soil beneath it has a lot of holes. I paid to have my lawn cared for and treated for grubs the last few years. I figured it was working because the jap beetle population has almost disappeared. So what could this all be? Just winter damage of some kind? or an infestation? And grubs wouldn't bother with the bare soil would they?
Suggestions will be so much appreciated. Thanks

Comments (3)