Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JDL guys says 34-0-0 or 39-0-0 would not be good

Posted by Mofo2713 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 19:05

So went to my local John Deere Landscapes (JDL) just to snoop around at the products and got talking to a guy there. Asked him if they carried 34-0-0 or 39-0-0...he laughed and said "Do you want to scorch your lawn?" He recommended Lescos 28-3-10 50% slow release all year instead. I told him I did a fair amount of research (reading forums and of course Bermuda Bible) and was certain that is what I wanted. He told me with the hot Dallas summers we get, I would be asking for a brown lawn the rest of the year. I know many people have said this should not be a problem so I am curious as to why you think he is so against it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JDL guys says 34-0-0 or 39-0-0 would not be good

I would have to say he does not know his product line.

The 28-3-10 50% Polyplus 4.5%FE is a good product assuming you want some P,K, and Iron. Note it is 50% Polyplus which means it is 50% slow release, and 50% fast release. 4.5% FE means it has 4.5 % iron.

OK the 39-0-0 (product 000777) is 100% Polyplus meaning it is 100% slow release formula, and ZERO fast release.

The 34-0-0 which I do not think they make anymore is 75% Ployplus or 75% slow release and 25% fast release.

So hopefully you see where I am going with this. His recommended 28-3-10 product is more likely to burn than the other two you inquired about because the other two have much less or no fast release urea in it.

I would understand him saying that if you inquired about 46-0-0 because it is all or 100% fast release.

o
Follow up

My honest guess is they just do not have what you asked for, and trying to sell you what he has in stock. With that said the 28-3-10 is a good product.

I would call then and ask what they have in stock. There are several deals in the DFW area. If they have it, and you want it. Tell the sales guy to STF up and give you what you want.

o

Hey TW,

The guy DID have the 28-3-10 and didn't have any of the 39-0-0. He said even if he had it (39-0-0), he would be cautious selling it to me. He said if you really want it, I can sell it to you. I might put down the 28-3-10 once my landscaping is done (just so the crews arent trampling my yard anymore Apr 21 providing that it isn't 90F outside). Then I will make the switch to 39-0-0 for the rest of the summer. It does make sense the way you explained it that the less fast release there is, the less chance of burning your lawn since it "dissolves" over time giving a more controlled release as opposed to all at once.

I am learning a lot from this forum and the other forum as well. I have a feeling this will be a full blown hobby in another couple of weeks. I'm liking the results of my lawn already.

Also, when I was at JDL today, I was looking at the Lesco product labels and they give a setting for Scotts rotaries, but nothing for Scotts drop spreaders. Does anyone know if there is a conversion chart somewhere? Also, trying to figure out how to distribute said weight across the lawn.

Ex. If I use the 39-0-0 I know that I would need ~2.5 pounds of product per 1,000 sq ft for my 1 lb of N, but I have no clue how that would translate into me deciding what to set my drop spreader at without just completely guessing. Sorry for the seemingly newb questions but I am trying to get as much knowledge before I do something so I don't mess up in the process!

Thanks in advance for "tolerating" my stupid questions.

o

FWIW, I've seen a couple fertilizer labels warning against drop spreader use due to the grinding action the agitator can create. Said it messes up the coating, which messes up the time release.

I've never experienced that problem, just read it. Maybe that's the reason for the drop spreader omission.

o

Did a little digging and found this spreader calculator which is pretty cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spreader Calculator

o

Get you are good rotary broadcast spreader. Drop spreaders are best used for seeding.

o
fwiw

Go to the nearest Home Depot and buy a bag of Lesco 15-5-10 (026760) with 3% iron 75% slow release. Great stuff.

o

Thanks TW, of course my dad suggested I get a drop spreader last fall ("because it's so much better") HAHA so it's brand new essentially. Not that its expensive or anything so I will look into getting a broadcast spreader soon.

Are you suggesting I get the 15-5-10 at HD in lieu of the 28-3-10 for my next application (in a couple weeks) then go up to the 39-0-0 for the summer?

o

Are you suggesting I get the 15-5-10 at HD in lieu of the 28-3-10 for my next application (in a couple weeks) then go up to the 39-0-0 for the summer?

Yes I am.

o
Follow UP

I suggest you get a soil test to see where you are at. It could turn out you do not need any P&K, or you could find out P and or both K is non existent.

o

Soil test was the next thing on my list of stuff to do.

o

OK great. By doing that then you will know exactly what you need. Ignore any nitrogen results as they will always be low especially with a Bermuda lawn. If you have the typical black gumbo TX soil in the DFW area it is pretty rich and does not need much except nitrogen. Problem is today most developers strip off the top soil and haul it off leaving you with crappy sub soil aka Hard Pan.

o

I live in the Heritage edition in Keller Tx and I seem to have nothing but rocks under a VERY thin layer of dirt around my house. I would love to dig up my entire lawn about two feet deep and replace it with a nice soil but that is too cost prohibitive. Anyone have any thoughts as to what my soil test results would yield? I bought a soil tester from Lowes last summer and have yet to use it.....do I test the thin layer just under the grass or dig a little deeper?

o

There is a new development 2 streets over from me and I have been watching them pretty consistently when they are building, grading, laying sod etc. They seem to not remove much of anything and just till it up roll it, then lay the sod down. My neighbor did a soil test last year and all was good with his. He has the same 419 as I do and our lawns look very similar. I have been telling him about this forum and what I have been told to do. He is on Scotts program and still has some tall weeds in his yard. I see now why Scotts is "so good"...they market the sh** out of their products so that is the name everyone hears.

o

I went to two JDL's on Friday to find my usual 39-0-0. One didn't have it, the other only had 2 bags left. He said, "hey we've got a whole pallet of 34-0-0. Not much difference." I hope this doesn't mean JDL is going to stop carrying 000777.

o

I called JDL yesterday for the #000777 39-0-0 and they don't carry it no more. He has 21-0-0 97% fast release which is not what would work. He recommended 13-2-13 for Bermuda grass here which is way to low and expensive for the nitrogen it needs. Would it be recommended to buy the 21-0-0 and mix the two?

o

I called again today as I checked the JDL website and for some reason I can't view individual products or prices. I was then directed to call the 1-800 which I did. I got redirected to a JDL 30 miles away, but then she wasn't able to find out why I couldn't get that info from the website, but when she asked what I was looking for she said there is a 40-0-0 but not polyplus, but it is slow release. She didn't give me a sku# but has anyone heard of it or tried it? She gave me a price of $36.60 for 50#. I'm just shaking my head the local JDL never recommended this even though it is in stock there and common sense would say this is the closest product to the 39-0-0 yet they tried to steer me towards 13-2-13... Who do they hire to work these places?

o

Would it be recommended to buy the 21-0-0 and mix the two?

No problem, it just means you have to apply more product.

o

More product = more money. Maybe JDL knows what they are doing after all... Makming a profit by making you spend more $$$$ for a similar product by taking the 000777 39-0-0 off their shelves.

o

I'm reviving this thread to have some discussion. Hopefully TW will chime in. I didn't realize that #000777 was 100% slow release, and not even sure that it matters. This year I went on my annual journey to JD Landscapes for 39-0-0. This time, they gave me #052418 which is 17.55% slow release.
Then I remembered when the service leveled my lawn they used the Uflexx 46-0-0. It came back really fast! Is the 46-0-0 always 100% fast release? I guess, as long as we're providing 1lb/1000sq ft, it doesn't matter the source. Is that the conclusion?

o
JDL's new 39-0-0 is 44-0-0

FYI: The JDL near me in North Dallas is switching from carrying 39-0-0 to 44-0-0 for 2015. Both are PolyPlus 100% (90% really) slow release, so no big deal . . .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here