Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Weed & Feed From Last Spring (2 different bags) OK To Use?

Posted by Illinois-Jack none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 19:05

Hello,

Whew. It's been a long cold winter here in Suburban Chicago. I was on on my way out to stock up on some springtime weed & feed for my lawn, but I've noticed I have many bags left over from last year.

1x Sta-Green Weed & Feed Phosphorus Free (opened package)
1x Scott's Turf Builder with Plus2 Weed control (Sealed)
2x Sta-Green Winterizer

Q : Is the opened bag OK to use? is there an expiration date of the un-opened bags?

Q : Ok to mix the two weed and feeds together for spring time application?

Thanks!

-Jack

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Weed & Feed From Last Spring (2 different bags) OK To Use

I wouldn't worry about them expiring or anything like that. I wouldn't want to mix two different active ingredients. Say, for example, you had a product with 2,4-D and a second product with mesotrione. If you had equal parts and you mixed them together, you're applying each chemical at effectively half rate--which might not be enough of either to give a good knock down.

If it were mine, I'd limit different active ingredients to different parts of the yard. Plus 2 on the side yard and Weed 'n Feed on the back, or whatever suits your situation. Be sure to write it down and keep track of what does best for you.

Follow the bag instructions, but I believe that granular herbicides recommend wetting the foliage before application--makes sense as when those chems are applied with a sprayer, the target is foliage coverage. So with a granular you want wet leaves for the granule to stick to, dissolve, and release the herbicide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here