Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planoresident1008

Plano (DFW) area re-sod advice requested

planoresident1008
11 years ago

Hello,

I am about to get my front lawn re-sodded with Palisade zoysia grass. I am complete newbie with landscaping. Before I get the re-sod work started, can the experienced folks out in this forum please provide me with do's and don'ts advice?

If you want to take a look at my front lawn you will be able to do so by clicking on the link below
My Dead lawn

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Are you doing a complete renovation or just part of it?

You do have to water lightly daily for a couple weeks just to keep sod moist while they grow new roots into the ground then gradually cut back. Water about half inch of water whenever they start to wilt. It's pretty obvious when it happens. Eventually, you'll go up to 7-14 days during hottest and driest spell in the summer before needing to water deeply about an inch of water. Organic program would be best for zoysia since it doesn't need much nitrogen. You just have to worry about watering the right way to keep lawn thick and lush. It's not that hard once you get hang of it.

Good luck. I will eventually have to get Palisades one day when trees get bigger and bermuda start to thin out.

• planoresident1008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lou,

I will be doing renovation of my front lawn and on one side which is most of my lawn and the renovation area will be approx 2800 sq. ft. My questions are:

1) Approximately what would be cost to do the resod of the area of the size 2800 sq. ft. with Palisade Zoysia?

2) I have got a couple of guys come look at my lawn. One recommends that a layer of fertilizer to be put before putting the sod. The other says that the fertilizer should not be put in as the sod comes with the fertilizer. Which one is correct or advisable?

3) To water the lawn 1/2 an inch, how do measure the amount using the sprinkler?

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

A1. In your area a pallet of Zoysia will cost you around $140 and a pallet covers 400 square feet and you will need 7 pallets to cover 2800 / ft2.

A2. Well both are right. Depending on what sod farm the sod comes from will spray the sod with a lite dose of a nitrogen fertilizer, but does not last long.

What you want to do is apply a starter fertilizer like 10-10-10 on the ground before you lay the sod and rake it into the soil, then lay the sod.

Make note here Zoysia only requires two applications per season. So after the sod is laid wait about 8 to 10 weeks and make the second and last application for the year.

A3. Set out empty tuna cans or like object at various locations around the yard and see how much time it takes to accumulate 1 inch of water. Be patient because it will probable take longer than you think. It takes 620 gallons of water to apply 1 inch over 1000/ft2.

This post was edited by texas-weed on Sat, May 4, 13 at 23:02

• planoresident1008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks texas-weed. The information you provided sure will help.

I have a couple of follow up questions for you.

1) Do you sell sods in the DFW area?

2) Approximately how much would the labor be to re-sod an area of 2800 sq. ft.?

Thanks,

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

A1 Tri-Tex
    A2. Local Landscapers install from $4 to $6 square yard. Depends on who and what kind of sod.