Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lawn under a pear tree

Posted by u22081 none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 19:14

I have 2 dwarf bartletts with beautiful fruit. The grass under one of them (sodded several years ago) has patches that don't take root well and pull right up with the mower while other parts are green and great. Is it from fruit drop, or too much acid, or how can I get the grass to grow under the tree? It's mostly shady, plenty of moisture and good drainage.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lawn under a pear tree

Where do you live?

What kind of grass do you have?

How often do you water and for how long?

o

Wisconsin, the grass type I don't know. It was a typical deep green sod from a local garden store. I don't usually water in this area until late June as we get pretty good preciptation until July and August. Then I water the tree weekly (over this grass). The soil stays fairly moist, the tree has produced plenty of fruit for about 9 years.

o
use fescue

I'm going out on a limb to guess that the grass is Kentucky bluegrass. Does it go dormant in the winter? or remain completely green?

I would nurse it along this summer and in August, over seed the weak areas (shady areas) with some turf type tall fescue. Someone else will chime in on varieties. KBG needs full sun to thrive. TTTF does not. It can do very well with some shade.

o

Thank you-it could be KBG but it was marked "grows well in shade". Don't really think it goes dormant because it stays very green in most areas-until it's white/covered with snow. The parts that are in the sun don't seem any more "rooted" than the parts in the shade. It seems more where the fruit drops if I can't get to it all right away. I will seed in the fall-but I'm afraid the edges will continue to pull up thru a summer or mowing. Thanks!

o

Have you considered mulch around the tree? There is a fruit tree forum here somewhere. They might have some thoughts, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here