Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris0831

Re building a St, Augustine lawn.....

chris0831
10 years ago

I have not posted on this fourm before, but I have posted many tiems in the Lawn tractor fourm.

Heres the sisuation.....about 5 years ago lighting took out (killed) a huge poplar tree in my front yard. I had a bueatful St. Augustine yard. Over the next several years the grass radiating out from the tree begin to die being replaced with mostly chicweed. Now I have a mess....probably 70% is nothing but weeds. The back yard is in pretty good shape. Is the only way to bring this yard back to plug it at some interval with St. Augustine? I have several areas in the back I could harvest the plugs from. Do I need to kill the chicweed first, or can I just plug the yard ignoring the weeds?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Chris

Comments (8)

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

Just an educated guess on my part but I suspect the problem is the decaying roots which are wood is sucking up and holding the nutrients. Otherwise removing shade should result in a flush of growth.

I am not real familiar with poplar but it might also be possible the decaying roots are releasing toxins.

• chris0831
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought of that as well, but the dead area extends WAY beyond the root system of the tree.........

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture, preferably taken on a cloudy day or in the early morning before the sun hits it?

Where do you live?

• chris0831
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in Norfolk VA and I will try and get a couple of shots this afternoon....

• chris0831
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok folks...

I have included some photos. The one with the tree stump was the poplar tree that was hit by lightening five years or so ago. The rest of the pics are just general shots showing the general condition of the yard...pretty sad, I know. Any suggestions (aside from starting over...which may be necessary) would be appreciated!

• chris0831
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It only let me post one so here's another showing a close up of the prominent invader....

• texasredhead
    10 years ago

Based on your photo, it appears you live in an urban forest. Think I counted 11 trees. Don't know your overall amount of sun to your yard, but St. Augustine requires at least 6 hours of direct sun to thrive. The decaying stump is not an issue but I wonder why you have left the unsightly stump.

• chris0831
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have left the stump because it doesn't bother me and around here it would be very expensive to remove. the equiment would have to go over and old teracotta drain field that is still in use and would really reather not crush any of those tiles.

The yard was THRIVING before lightening took the tree i and it was a HUGE shade tree so the yar had even less light then it does now.

Eleven trees are just the tip of the burg sdo to speak. I would estimate that I have probably 75 or more trees on my 2.5 acre lot although I have never counted them. Many of them are medium to small pines that are in some cases densly packed. Thank you for taking the time and effort to respond.