Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serious lawn help needed

Posted by EUTAW fl (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 19:27

I have googled and web surfed and i could find nothing helpful with my lawn conditions.

I live in florida along the gulf of mexico about 45 minutes from tampa, we just bought our first home ever and the lawn looked as though it had never been cared for. My dream of one day owning a home and having a beautiful lawn went hand in hand.

I have in areas sandy soil, alot of bare ground, where there is some green is all basically weeds, and we have a couple live oaks on our property.

First coarse of action was we had the 2 big oak trees in our back yard trimmed up to allow more sun through, and it has done exactly that, so i do not believe sun is an issue.
Second, i bought some seed, weed and feed, and some epson salt (unsure of spelling) as we read that it helps the grass seed to germinate.
Third, we water daily, and when we do we really give it a good soaking.

After 2 weeks we see where grass is starting to grow but is spotty, in some areas (mainly away from the live oaks) we see patches of grass growing but still alot of barren ground. We looked into sod, they suggested bitter blue based on our conditions and said we would have to fertilize once every month/2months, depending on how the lawn takes. We were told to fertilize often because of the live oaks we have, and i dont mind fertilizing often if it means we can have a healthy lush lawn.

So after what i have described am i giving a good enough description for a green thumb to help me out?

Also how long until i know whether the grass seed i have spread will sufficient enough or just a failed attempt?

Need your help green thumbs!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serious lawn help needed

Afraid you are basically screwed, and you did it too yourself. In your area there are 3 types of grass you can grow.

Bermuda, but in your case with shade issues is eliminated.

Zoysia might work depending on the sun light.

#1 grass for your area is Saint Augustine, and the best variety with shade issue is Palmetto.

Now here is where you screwed yourself. All of the 3 above are from sod. Well you can get Bermuda and Zoysia seeds but the varieties offered in seed are fairly low quality. There is no such thing as Saint Augustine seed for sale.

So what kind grass seed did you plant? My guess is you bought some from a Box Type Store and most of it is a cool season grass which will not work in FL.

You want a nice yard? Then buy you some Saint Augustine sod. As for Bitter Blue SA, if given the choice between Bitter Blue and Palmetto, I would not even hesitate and go with Palmetto. Palmetto has finer texture, deeper color. better shade and cold tolerance, and less pest and disease issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here