Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdelcf_gw

I know clover's ok to have in a lawn, but...

mdelcf
11 years ago

I know that it's ok to have clover in my lawn, and that it's coming back into style, but I'm not particularly a fan of the look. I'm fine with it taking some time to get rid of it by improving the soil quality, but I'm confused about what do this Spring to make the soil better and start fighting back the clover. Can anyone tell me what order to apply feed, fertilizer, compost, etc.? And what are the best products to buy? I have kids so I'd like to stay as chemical free as possible. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Making your soil better won't do anything to the clover. It's a myth. If you want to get rid of clover you can pull it all by hand, making sure to get the roots or you can hit it with Weed B Gone Clover, Chickweed and Oxalis killer. I realize you have kids, but if you keep them off it for a day or two, and make sure they don't eat it, then it poses no real risk (even if they did eat some, they would still be fine). Keep in mind that if the areas of clover are strictly clover, then you will have bare spots when you remove them.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Before you spray with Weed B gone, please tell us where you live and what kind of grass you have.

While clover can live in poor soil, having poor soil is not a requirement. Improving the soil does not get rid of it.

Clover is only making a come back when you have 100% coverage. If you have 99% coverage, then it looks clumpy and weedy. That's what everyone objects to.

When to feed depends on where you live and what type of lawn you have. They fail to mention that on the Scott's TV commercials. Some grasses never need fertilizer and some need it monthly. They fail to mention that, too.

The reason tiemco felt okay about suggesting you use weed b gone is the speed with which it works. Weed b gone is a spray that gets applied once, absorbs into the plant right away, and dries. Once it dries it does not spread. Now there is a thing about morning dew rewetting it but that will only last a day or two before even that won't spread it. So spraying with Weed Be Gone is pretty fast. Plus with a spray you can apply only to the weeds and not waste it on the entire lawn. The slow alternative is to spread a dry herbicide. That stuff will track into the house and generally last a longer time. Using WBG gets it out of the way and you can resume an organic approach to lawn care if that is your preference.

On organic lawn care: Go to the Organic Gardening forum, find the FAQs, and scroll to the last one. That FAQ outlines the modern approach to organic lawn care. Compost is out and ground up grains are in. Then come back here and ask your new questions.

Also I sense you are having issues with your lawn and may not even know it. The clover is a clue that something is wrong. You are probably mowing too short and watering too often. We see that all the time.