Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madaboutmylawn

annual bluegrass - want to kill it now!

madaboutmylawn
16 years ago

Okay -- so, I've lived in Georgia for 8 years now, and have lived in this home for 4 years. The Bermuda was a lucious dark green for the first 3 years. Then, as all Georgians know, came the great drought of 2007. My Bermuda was in shambles last summer (2007). Watering restrictions put the slam-bang on our lawns here. I applied a pre-emergent in mid-October, 2007, but low and behold, this year the nasty annual bluegrass took over. I know it's too late to apply another pre-emergent, and I surely don't want to kill off my turf with more drastic measures. I've searched the web for hope -- to no avail. Everything I read tells me that I am a full year out of regaining control. Do I have any hope left for this year's Bermuda turf? What can I do to kill the nasty bluegrass, without damaging the good turf?

Please...any new and wonderful ideas?

Comments (14)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Certainty herbicide is listed to *control* annual bluegrass, but I don't know what it does to Bermuda.

Other than that...well, I have some Certainty but used Round Up on those particular patches. Control doesn't mean kill, Round Up kills it dead.

Hopefully you'll have a summer with enough water or be able to irrigate. Feed that Bermuda well and it should knit closed in nothing flat, if our other Bermuda experts here are any guide.

• madaboutmylawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the the post response. That's the plan I had in mind for this summer -- treat it like a golf course; feed and water until it grows to fill the voids. I even thought about my buddy down the road (www.callahangolflinks.com) -- maybe he has some healthy tips, or some of that 'good stuff' they use. I just finished dropping the ole' John Deere to the lowest setting and whacked the top off the bluegrass. The Bermuda is just starting to sprig up pretty good, so maybe this "madaboutmylawn", chopping-it-down measure will give the Bermuda a fighting chance. Hopefully, we'll maintain the current levels of rainfall here and next year will be better.

I'll check out the Certainty at my local lawn care center.

Thanks again,
    Mad-

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

There is no post emergence control for Poa except for Glyphosate aka Round Up which will kill the Bermuda. It will disappear with hot summer temperatures. Annual species develops from germinating seeds left over from previous year growth. Annual bluegrass can adapt to all cutting heights. The seedhead will also develop under all cutting heights. Annual bluegrass excels with high fertility and irrigation.

The only control is pre-emergence applied in fall, winter, and early spring.

• m1shmosh
    16 years ago

Prograss (ethofumesate) has pre- and post- emergent control of poa annua. You can use it on Bermuda when dormant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prograss

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

I just finished dropping the ole' John Deere to the lowest setting and whacked the top off the bluegrass.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Your Poa is laughing harder than I am.
    Okay, enough teasing you because I know how you feel. Just know there is no such thing as whacking it.

In addition to TW's pre-m application schedule, try making the winter and spring applications with an herbicide that contains ethofumesate. They say it has an early post-m affect so if there's any chance of it getting past the pre-m, then maybe you can catch some of the early growth. Of course, you'll have to find out if ethofumesate can be applied to bermudagrass.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Didn't see you there, Subywu.

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

Um Round Up works well on Dormant Bermuda and will knock Poa on its butt.

• m1shmosh
    16 years ago

Um Round Up will also knock overseeded rye on its butt.

• rotodarian
    16 years ago

first, let me say good luck.

secondly, if you can somehow get a hold of it, Tenacity has been showing some good promise in current research. it's chemical, in case you care, is mesotrione.

again, good luck. ;)

• bshudson
    16 years ago

How about MSMA? Will that work?

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Its a bit harsh, but I am using a propane torch this year to singe the seeds before cutting. While I've turned a good deal of my TTTF yard into brown spots with bad technique it is starting to green back up and the seed heads are much diminished.

• auteck
    16 years ago

"HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Your Poa is laughing harder than I am.
    Okay, enough teasing you because I know how you feel. Just know there is no such thing as whacking it."

I couldn't agree more with this... We have POA in some of our putting greens that get mowed down to 3/16 of inch and POA is bright green.

POA is a nasty weed, and aside from round up, there's nothing that can kill it without hurting the desired grass.

I think control is the right word, unless you're willing to kill the desired grass.

Good luck.

• madaboutmylawn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great posts -- thanks all. Yeah...I whacked it alright! That was more for my benefit than the lawn. Of course, by whacking to the stems, it did open up some sunlight to the reach (what remains of) the good turf underneath. It looks like a long, hard summer ahead. You can bet I'll find a better pre-emergent this year!

Three suggestions on this post response: Certainty, ethofumesate?, and Tenacity (mesotrione). I like the names. ;-)
    I appreciate the propane torch, but that seems to be in the same category as 'whacking' it, which was my preferred pissed-off method of gaining revenge. Of course, death-by-fire may be a bit more personal, because you get to smell the destruction as well. Ha!

I can appreciate a good sense of humor, too.

Thanks again...
    Mad'

• bogey123
    15 years ago

I hadn't thought to try the propane torch on the seed heads. I use my torch on the japaneese beatles that attack my roses every summer. Its a bit smelly but very satisfying.