Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mofo2713

Tifway 419 or Common...or neither?!?!

Mofo2713
12 years ago

Hello everyone!

Brand new to the forums but I have been reading a lot this past week about lawn care from this forum and a couple of others. We live in Frisco TX which is basically North Dallas. We moved into our first house last July and needless to say the previous owners had their sprinkler system to 8 minutes per zone once per week. Needless to say, the grass was not very green. I watered a good amount last fall and this year things have started off good. I applied Scotts + Halt (I now know there are better options!!) again I only started big time reading into it about a week ago!

I have already found the Bermuda Bible and am going to start abiding by that religiously. I know I can plant some plugs in completely dead spots where the grass isn't growing but I would rather just go and buy some sod and get it over with, only talking about 20 sq ft total in a few random spots.

I just started training the lawn to be mowed shorter and grow more horizontally. I just did my last mowing at 2" blade height. I just have a Toro rotary mower. Would like to eventually get it down to 1.25-1.5 inches but I know I can't just scalp it down to that without there being issues. I am currently mowing every 3-4 days since the fertilizer has really kicked in and am fine with that. I work from home so I have a good amount of time to put into my lawn and I know you only get out what you put into it. I wish I had found this forum and "The Bible" before my first mow and could have started things off with a nice scalping. Oh well, always next spring.

My question is what kind of Bermuda do I have? I have been told Common and have also been told Tif 419. I have attached a picture for you experts to gander at. I don't know if you can really tell a difference from 1 pic or not.

Sorry for the long rant but thanks to everyone's posts as they have really get me intrigued into keeping a nice green lawn this year and hopefully have my neighbors slightly jealous (HAHA)

Please ask me any questions if I left something out.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:89079}}

Comments (11)

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Would like to eventually get it down to 1.25-1.5 inches but I know I can't just scalp it down to that without there being issues

Wrong my friend, scalp it now. Doing so later will cause issues. In DFW it is getting a bit late, but getter done NOW if you are going to do it.

A scale would have been nice to get an idea of the blade and node length. There is a very good chance that it comes from my sod farm, Put it too you this way if that house has been built in the last 20 years, your in Frisco so it is probable brand new or less than 5 years old, it is Tifway-I aka 419. All builders that install Bermuda is Tufway-I or Tifway-II which is an improved 419 with slightly better cold and drought tolerance. All the builders in Dallas have contracts with the sod farms, and the typical budget is $5K for landscape on tract lots. Frisco can be quite abit higher since most of the homes in Frisco area are upper income. In that case of a custom home it could be TifSport which is even finer in quality that Tifway-I

• Mofo2713
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The lawn itself it pretty dang green already, I can get by going the slow route unless you think I should absolutely scalp it now I can do that as well.

Our house was built in Dec 2005 by Ashton Woods. Our neighborhood housing range is in the are of 230-280K. We fall around the middle of that range.

• Mofo2713
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is an updated link with a scale texas-weed

Here is a link that might be useful: Bermuda Scale

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Its Tifway-I.

You have a decision to make. If you want to go short this year, scalp mow it now. Otherwise wait until next spring. It is not something you can do incrementally.

If you do scalp it don't get freaked out because the lawn will look like he!! with nothing but brown twigs and stems. You will be removing all green leaf material Just keep it mowed, fed, and watered. Within a week it will green right up.

But you need to understand what you are asking for, a bunch of hot nasty work all summer long. When you go short, requires frequent mowing. Hotter the weather gets, the faster Bermuda grows. So if you are maintaining at say 1-inch means you have to mow when it reaches 1-1/2 inches. Bermuda can grow that 1/2 inch in 2 to 3 days. If for some reason you let it go, and then mow it, guess what? You will scalp the lawn removing all the green leaf material.

• Mofo2713
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice texas-weed. I think I will keep it at 1.5-1.75 this year. I will be traveling a good amount this summer and want to get the hang of it and used to keeping up with the rigorous work before I go all in. How are you guys able to take care of your lawn when say you are out of town for 6-7 days? I know for sure I will be gone at least 7 days right around the middle of July and when I get back grass will prob be closer to 3 inches if I'm keeping it at 1.5. I know you're not supposed to cut more than 1/3 of height at any time. Suggestions?

I also sent you an email texas-weed through clicking on your name and then clicking send e-mail. Don't know if you got it or not.

I think I will do what you say in the bible from beginning of next year and put down some pre emergent and then first mow scalp it completely and bag clippings.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

How are you guys able to take care of your lawn when say you are out of town for 6-7 days?

Simple undocumented workers.

• Mofo2713
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just have a feeling that if I say "Come in and mow at 1.5", they're not gonna care. They're just going to go over with whatever their standard setting is for every lawn which is prob around 2.5 which would be a complete waste of $35

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Posted by texas-weed 7A (My Page) on Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 15:53
    Do you have teenage boys in the neighborhood?
    ---

That used to be me and now I'm a grown man still mowing neighbors' lawn cuz they hate doing yard work. Lol.

• Mofo2713
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HAHA, all the families around must think they're too good to have their kids mow the lawn. Hones to God, I think besides one of my neighbors, I am the ONLY one that mows on my street of about 50 houses. Everyone has yard crews and I see the kind of work they do...the hurry up and lets get to the next house work. They go the same way every week in these peoples lawns and some have the deepest tire ruts from them not changing direction. Almost comical but whatever, it makes my lawn look that much better!

• alphaoverload
    10 years ago

I have been lurking for many months. I have come across and read many of Texas-weeds comments. Very informative. I purchased a house earlier this year in the Woodbridge community of Sachse Texas. The home builder was also Ashton Woods and could not figure out which bermuda I had. I do not want to derail this thread wanted to intro myself and my similarity to the thread OP.