Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda not growing in the shade

Posted by Sherm1082 7 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 19:54

Hello everyone. I have a part of my lawn that does not grow grass well due to the fence blocking the sun. My bermuda is still waking up but you can clearly see the definitive line of where my grass just isn't growing as well. Any green you see near the fence is weeds. If I'm not mistaken, as the temperatures heat up, that part of the grass will start to do better but it obviously isn't getting enough sun. What are my options to fill it in? I definitely do not want to have put down any sod so I am really looking and seeding options. Any info as far as timing goes would be appreciated as well as info regarding where to get the seed. Thanks in advance for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda not growing in the shade

I'm still new to bermudagrass (my sodded front yard is only 2 years old), but from what I understand, no bermuda grass does great in the shade, and growing bermuda from seed in the shade is nearly impossible. I've been able to move chunks of grass around to fill dead spots with some success, but you have to have grass somewhere else to pull from. If the rest of the grass is growing well, I would think it might slowly spread and fill in, but for faster results you'd probably have to buy sod. Just my opinion, let us know what you do and how it turns out!

o

Thanks for the response. Like you said, Bermuda doesn't do well in the shade and I am fully aware of that. With that being said, what can I put in the shady spots? I heard zoysia is good or I don't know if I should just try a fescue.

o

I wouldn't attempt to plant any grass that close to the fence. Aside from the shade issue, it seems too difficult to cut. Why not mulch the area? You can either use the area for a flower bed or simply leave it as a mulched border.

o

Every variety of zoysia except 1 (maybe 2) is a full sun grass. Also zoysia is much more prone to problems than the advertising leads you to believe.

Think in terms of flower beds or a ground cover that works in your climate. Where do you live?

o

"What are my options to fill it in?"

A flower bed and shrubs, with shade and part-shade species?

o

dchall, I live in the Raleigh, NC area.

Thanks all for the response. I will take that into consideration. Maybe I will just do one big mulch area/flower bed around my entire back yard bordering the fence. Hmmmmm........I have to think about that.

Also, check out my other thread about a weed identification if you think you can be of help. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here