Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henrydavis

Please help! Lawn overseeded seeded but didn't water!

henrydavis
10 years ago

I rented an overseeder from Home Depot and almost finished using it, dropping seed on 12,000 ft2. The sun just went down and I'm ready to collapse! I wanted to finish an hour or two earlier and get my starter fertilizer on and watering done but didn't plan on it taking this long. I plan on getting up around 7AM and doing the last ~2000 ft2 and then fertilizing and watering. Is this going to be ok? I know you're not supposed to let seed get dry or it dies, but it's only 60 degrees out right now and my soil is semi-moist, still. If you guys tell me I'm screwed, well, I better get out the lights and finish this job!

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• yardtractor1
    10 years ago

Relax. You are fine. Once you finish and start watering, you want to deep the soil slightly damp not wet. You may be a bit early in planting as temperatures are still a bit cool.

Edit: May I suggest once you finish up tomorrow that you consider not watering until after the next rainfall, then make sure that the soil remains moist thereafter. Remember, moist, not wet.

This post was edited by yardtractor1 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 20:14

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

It's fine if seed is dry. What you don't want is for seed to get moist for several hours and then dry out again. That won't happen.