Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
little white bugs flying up when I walk in grass

Posted by northtexas (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 20:00

Well, something terrible happened today. I was walking out in the bermuda grass I have in north Texas and little white flying bugs would fly up when I stepped in the grass. This occurred over the entire lawn while I was walking. They were very small but I couldn't get one to be still long enough to get a good look or a picture. Any idea what these could possibly be and what I should do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: little white bugs flying up when I walk in grass

They are harmless gnats.

o

Hmmmm, didn't look like any gnats I have ever seen. I am afraid they may be a sod webworm moth. They were tan all over and very small.

http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/so-id/entomology/Lawn/aswwm.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: sod webworm

o

Well please understand I am making an educated guess over the net. If that is what you have well...

o

Oh I am not doubting your knowledge at all. After all I have started following your bermuda bible this season. Should I buy an insecticide and get to spraying? ABC pest control treats our house for insects and they are coming by Monday to have a look.

o

ABC will find some problem to sell you a solution for. I've had little white flying things in my lawn for decades. I have ignored them successfully.

After reading this forum for many years, sod webworm is near the bottom of the list of actual problems. It is even below dog barf fungus. Based on the probabilities, I'm going with the harmless gnats hypothesis.

If you are one of the few people who allow paper wasps to live under your eaves, then you will never see sod webworms. Webworms are prime chow for paper wasps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here