Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lbrewer_gw

St. Augustine Help

lbrewer
11 years ago

I recently purchased a home and the grass is a mess. We live in Texas, just outside of Houston, so it gets really hot in the summer. I have no idea where to start with this yard. I'm not sure if we should just start all over, or if there are other options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have been trying to do some research, but find myself at a loss. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

Perhaps the picture is bad, but I do not see any Saint Augustine grass, just some Bermuda.

• whitecap
    11 years ago

Looks like stressed St. Augustine to me. Get some water on it. It will start to grow and spread in a week or so. I don't think your situation is by any means hopeless. The resident Texas experts should be along shortly.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Didn't you receive some rain recently? They should start growing soon and fill in before summer.

1) Mow high at around 3 inches.

2) Water when needed (1 inch is 600 gallons of water for every 1000 sqft).

You should fertilize now so that they will fill in more quickly.

If you don't have Floratam cultivar (they have thick red stolons), plug them in worst spot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floratam

• lbrewer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We did receive quite a bit of rain recently. We moved into the house at the beginning of August last year and watered it regularly, but it still never filled it.

We will definitely try some fertilizer and the Floratam! Thanks for the help! I feel much more encouraged!

One more question, we have a lot of different types of grass growing, is there anything we can do to get rid of them so we only have St. Augustine? I added an additional picture, (which I don't see any St Augustine in) thanks again!!

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

My eyes must be bad, but in the first pix all I see is dead SA, dormant Bermuda starting to green up, and dead Oak Tree Male Flowers laying on the ground (the brown tubular like things).

This post was edited by texas-weed on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 20:13

• whitecap
    11 years ago

I had a worse problem than this last year. I just raked everything off with a rake, roughing the ground up a little, and dropped pieces of Home Depot sod down, leaving 2 to 3 ft. between them. I then ran a flat soaker hose across the pieces, and watered the Dickens out of them, daily for the first few weeks. I also spread a little topsoil around the edges, just to level everything out some. I now have a healthy looking lawn. I didn't have any weeds to contend with, just bare dirt. I don't know that I would want to destroy the native weeds and grasses in the areas between the pieces of sod.

You can't mow over a soaker hose, of course. I just used a weed eater, until November. It will take a while for the St. Augustine to spread, so you have to be patient, and keep the water on it. If you go the soaker hose route (the better to evade restrictions on watering with sprinklers), be sure to use a pressure regulator.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Uh, you can absolutely mow over a soaker hose. With St Augustine you should have your mower raised all the way up. I've mowed over my hoses for years. This is what it should look like

{{gwi:89189}}

I move the sprinkler off and mow.

Your first pic looks like the dregs of a St Aug lawn that died out from lack of water and has been mowed at the mower's lowest setting. You're lucky to have any left, but that is plenty to get it all back this season. Start deep watering about every other week. Fertilize with organic fertilizer once every month or two and it should be all better (or almost better) by July. My favorite organic fertilizer is plain alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow). Apply at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Moisten it after application to soften the pellets so the birds can't take them away.

After you are back to full coverage, you can either continue with the organics or switch to chemical fertilizers. Don't use chemicals in the heat of summer. With chemicals you might only fertilize in April and again on Labor Day and once more in late October. With organics it doesn't matter when you fertilize or how often. 3x per year is a minimum.