Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnearnest

Need Help Ready To Give Up

johnearnest
11 years ago

This is my 5th season in my first home, and as much as I try I cannot seem to grow a healthy lawn. It seems that the more I try the worse the lawn gets. I have spent alot of money on grass seed, fertilizer, weed killer and lots and lots of water but nothing helps, in fact it just gets worse. My neighbors don't do anything to there lawn and there yards look better than mine, there still not great, mostly covered in weeds but atleast there green all over mine has alot of crab grass with large bare spots.

I live in the suburbs of Washington DC, Small to medium sized front yard and I have a very large tree on one half of the yard. The side with the tree is the worst witch makes me think that the tree is taking up all the nutrients the grass needs to grow well. It does shade the grass on that side of the yard a little bit, but not to much as it is a very large tree and the limbs start around 15 feet above ground.

So before I give up or go wasting more money this season I figure I would ask some experts what the thought would help. I would like to try and get it right this year. I've never aerated the lawn should try that? Also I keep getting these flyers for Zoysia grass witch sounds good on paper, however I hear they tend to get really brown during the winter months witch I don't like, I love the dark green color of a lawn.

Any help would be much appreciated, I know its a broad question but I just don't want to waste another season of back breaking weekends spent on my lawn and not get anywhere.

This post was edited by johnearnest on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 20:47