Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calif lawn needs lots of help & so do I

Posted by vsing none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 20:54

Where to begin? I've lived in this house for over 25 years and it was pretty good for most of those years, but the gopher population in our area (inland area of California central coast - zone 9) exploded about 4 years ago and my once lovely yard has been devastated. I've succeeded in keeping them out of my flower garden with Sweeney's solar stakes, but with an acre of lawn to care for, I haven't been able to cover the lawn with them. Add to that the intrusion of burr clover, bare spots after cutting down trees to install solar, and some sort of weed grass and my poor lawn is a mess.

Now that I've retired, I'd like to get it back into shape. So here's my question: What do I do first? Kill weeds, fertilize, or overseed? I've sprayed a part of the lawn with Weed-B-Gone to get rid of the burr clover (it's the only thing that works), but I'm now in a quandary as to whether I should spray the rest or try to fertilize, maybe with weed & feed? I'm 60 and in reasonably good health, but I am the only one available to do the work. If anyone has a plan of action, I'd really appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calif lawn needs lots of help & so do I

Need to know where you live? Are you on the sea breeze side of the hills? or on the other side of the hills. Go ahead and name the town.

What kind of grass do you have?
Is shade an issue (trees or buildings)?
How often do you water and for how long?
How often do you mow and how high/low?
When were the last two times you fertilized?

Can you post a picture of the lawn from a distance, say across the street?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here