Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaweddle_gw

Brand new Midiron sod care questions

lisaweddle
11 years ago

Well⦠I feel like an idiot. We just finished laying our brand new Midiron sod about 6 hours ago. After a little uncertainty about how frequently to water for the first couple of weeks, I came across this handy forum here and have been reading ever since. And what I have learned is basically that we did almost everything up until this point completely wrong. ItâÂÂs my own fault for being in a hurry and taking the word of the sod company and my know-it-all dad rather than doing my own research. So, hereâÂÂs what IâÂÂve learned that we did wrong so far:

-Tilled the yard and then raked to level it (we did use a roller, soaked the yard a couple of times, and filled in low spots).

-DidnâÂÂt give enough time for the soil to settle in the sprinkler system trenches

-DidnâÂÂt sprout and kill all of the weeds

-No soil analysis

If I understand correctly, I should expect a weedy, bumpy mess in the upcoming months/years, yes? IâÂÂm trying to grieve my expectations of a perfect lawn, accept that I will probably have to do some serious work to level it down the road, enjoy that I at least have a green yard, and try to figure out how to keep it that way.

IâÂÂve gathered that texas-weed is the God of Bermuda and I need to memorize his Bermuda Bible. IâÂÂve got a few questions about the first couple of weeks though:

-Are there any preventative measures I can take to help with the weed and leveling problems at this point?

-How much water? IâÂÂve read conflicting thoughts. The sod company says 4-6 times/day 5-10 minutes at a time. On here I was reading 3 times/day 15-20-mins at a time. My dad currently has it set for 3 times, 8 mins. FYI, I live in Phoenix and the high is about 85 right now.

-How much traffic? Can my son play on it or should we stay off?

-Mowing - Sod company says to wait 14 days, is that right?

-Should I still get a soil analysis?

I think thatâÂÂs all IâÂÂve got right now. Please feel free to give me any other information I should have or correct anything IâÂÂve got wrong. Just donâÂÂt make me feel even more stupid than I already do, deal? ;)

Thanks for any help.

This post was edited by lisaweddle on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 21:19

Comments (2)

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

-Are there any preventative measures I can take to help with the weed and leveling problems at this point?

Only thing you can really do is give the area a good soaking, then roll with a water roller as full as you can to push and squish the high spots down.

Al you can do about weeds is just hand pull them as they appear. You do not want to use any herbicides until after the Bermuda is fully established.. That will take a couple of months.

-How much water? IâÂÂve read conflicting thoughts. The sod company says 4-6 times/day 5-10 minutes at a time. On here I was reading 3 times/day 15-20-mins at a time. My dad currently has it set for 3 times, 8 mins. FYI, I live in Phoenix and the high is about 85 right now.

Listen to the sod farm. You live in bone dry conditions and it will take multiple light watering application to keep the sod most. You soil sucks and will not hold water. You really do not have soil in Phoenix unless you live out around Gilbert. What you have is granite rubble.

-How much traffic? Can my son play on it or should we stay off?

Stay off for at least a week to give the roots time to set. After that and assuming the it firm enough Bermuda is the most traffic resistance grass there is.. Only traffic it cannot take is that from a dog who uses established trails like around a fence line.

-Mowing - Sod company says to wait 14 days, is that right?

As soon as it needs it. Just make sure the ground is not soft and mushy from frequent watering. That is why the Sod Farm is saying two weeks. About after two weeks the frequent multiple day watering should be over.

-Should I still get a soil analysis?

Would not hurt, but I can tell you right now based on your location you do not have any meaningful nutrients. If you did not apply a starter fertilizer, then get it done using something like 10-20-10. If you do get a soil test pay attention to the PH as desert soils tend to be alkaline.

OK here is your tip. You live in Phoenix, so all watering rules do not apply to you. You need to learn how to tell if the grass needs watering by looking at it. From my experience down in the valley you will likely need to water every day early in the morning just before sun up.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Sounds like you have done a considerable amount of reading. The biggest problem is the rototilling. Don't worry about it for awhile. The rolling might help, but your lawn should have been rolled already for the sod.

I rarely feel the need to follow up on something TW says, but I would like to say this: The whole "deep and infrequent" mantra for watering came from a Phoenix lawn care professional. He said he would not accept a new customer unless he got the keys to the water sprinkler system. He said the biggest problem in Phoenix was people watering every day. He and I fought about that for awhile here on this forum - wasn't pretty (cuz I lost that one). But I learned a lot from him. Once your roots knit into the underlying soil, you should back off. As TW said, watch the grass for signs of wilting. That should not lead to daily watering. I spend a lot of time texting with a guy in Mesa who is a firm believer in deep and infrequent.

Here's my tip: Never try to improve your sodded bermuda by adding bermuda seed. The sodded variety of bermuda has been hybridized to the point where it is a different plant. When you add seeds you introduce what is essentially a weed to your lawn.