Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edging

Posted by nykenny 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 21:18

Just curious when most of you do your edging around the lawn? I live in upstate NY and was wondering if there are any downsides to doing it now/ early spring. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edging

I don't know if there's a certain time that's not ok to do it. I usually do it anytime I notice the grass creeping over the driveway or sidewalks. Usually that means at the first mowing of spring, again every 3-4 weeks until the grass stops growing in the fall.

o

If by edging you mean using an edger to cut s narrow trench along the concrete I don't see why it should be tied to a time of year. In some ways it would be better in the spring so the material coming out of the trench could be worked into the yard. However it is more rewarding when you can see what you are accomplishing.

If by edging you mean trimming with a weed eater, I do it every time I mow.

Usually I can control the grass around the concrete with the weed eater, and only edge as above every couple of years.

o

I use my B&D electric edger at least once a month. When cutting the grass it partially fills up the edges so I use the blower for edging maintenance. Zoysia looks great with nice sharp edges ;)

o

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the confusion. By edging I mean digging a small trench around my beds. I usually use a shovel stomp down and kick the dirt into the beds. I like the look of a deeper trench and sharp lines!!l Looks like I got some work to do this weekend. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here