Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidney1_0

i need a new lawn

sidney1.0
11 years ago

hey guys, i've been scouring the net trying to find Meyer Z52 Zoysia seed or sod in the. i live in NY and finding it locally is seemingly impossible and the only thing i have been able to come across online are those 1" plugs which will do nothing for me being that i have over 2000 sqft area to cover. last summer my entire lawn died from the intense heat and direct sun and now my whole yard is nothing more that weeds and straw, there isn't a single green blade left! so i figured i would put in the Meyer Z52 Zoysia. if anyone can help me in finding a place or even online where i can order the seed or actual sod and not the plugs i would be ever grateful.. any lawn tips would be much appreciated as well... :-)

thanks

This post was edited by sidney1.0 on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 21:25

Comments (7)

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

If you are not willing to water, then zoysia will not help you.

• tiemco
    11 years ago

You need to work on your net scouring.

http://www.gemszoysiafarm.com/

• sidney1.0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi dchall
    i work a lot so last summer no, i wasn't watering the way that i should i realized that was why the lawn died so i had an automatic in-ground sprinkler system installed so that that won't happen again. but thanks

tiemco, i'm pretty certain my internet scouring isn't the issue being that i had actually been to that particular site previously and all they offer are the 1" plugs that i do not want being that i have so much surface area to cover which is why i was saying my initial post that i was looking for a place to acquire either seed or sod...... but thanks for taking the time to reply

This post was edited by sidney1.0 on Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 20:16

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Here's the problem, Zoysia is a warm season grass. It prefers the climate found in the transition zone and parts of the southern US. It is dormant for 6-9 months of the year in Northern climes. It's not really a great choice for NY and having a zoysia sod farm would not be the best business up North, therefore they don't exist. Growing zoysia from seed in NY would probably fail as the cultivars available from seed aren't as cold tolerant as Meyers, you have to wait till soil temps are in the 70's to seed, and there's not enough time for it to become established and mature.

• sidney1.0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i see. thanks tiemco for the explanation i appreciate it. the thing is there are actually a lot of zoysia lawns in this area that really flourish in the summer beautifully. my next door neighbor has a zoysia lawn and its fantastic but it really does turn all brown in the winter. when i bought this house 6 years ago he was telling me about it and i started to do the zoysia then but just couldn't wrap my mind around a brown lawn all winter. he said he started the lawn with plugs and seed but he had an existing lawn in place that the zoysia over took, where as i will be starting from bare dirt after i turn the dead grass. i noticed online that pennington sells the zenith zoysia seed variety for $39 for 5lbs but i really didn't want that one as the reviews say that it doesn't make a dense carpet. i really had my hopes on the meyer zoysia. i aslo read that the meyer is the most cold tolerant for this area... any suggestions?

This post was edited by sidney1.0 on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 11:59

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Find the nearest Zoysia Farm that grows Meyers, rent a truck, call them and set a time to pick up freshly cut sod (when it's warmer and the Zoysia is growing). Pick up your sod and drive nonstop to your house. Lay the sod as soon as possible and water it every day. That farm in NJ might sell you sod if you pick it up, but you would have to talk to them.

• sidney1.0
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i'll contact them and see what they say. i hope that they will see me whole sheets of sod and i hope that the price isn't too crazy bing i need so much of it...lol thanks tiemco